New Zealand Rugby League
The New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) is the governing body for the sport of rugby league football in New Zealand. The NZRL was founded on 25 April 1910 in preparation for a tour of Great Britain that same year.
|New Zealand Rugby League|
|Headquarters||Rugby League House, 7 Beasley Avenue, Penrose, Auckland|
|Key people||Reon Edwards (Chair)|
Greg Peters (Chief Executive)
|Men's coach||Michael Maguire|
|Women's coach||Kelvin Wright|
As of 8 April 2011
The NZRL administers the New Zealand Kiwis, the New Zealand national team. Currently they manage the NZRL National Secondary Schools Tournament, the NZRL Women's National Tournament and the NZRL National Youth Tournament, a seven Zone national competition played at 15s, 17s grades. The premier competition is known as the National Premiership and in 2016 a new National Championship will be launched. They are also responsible for elite pathway programmes including the NZ 16s and NZ 18s teams, the NZ Taurahere and the Junior Kiwis. They have previously managed the now defunct Lion Red Cup and Bartercard Cup competitions.
In April 1910, the New Zealand Rugby League was formed for the purpose of administering the new code in New Zealand and "with the blessing of the Northern Rugby Football Union, on the condition that the Auckland District would not have the management of the entire game in New Zealand".
Throughout New Zealand, the sport is administered by seven Zones and has fifteen districts and seven Affiliates.
Legends of LeagueEdit
47 players have been inducted since the Legends of League was introduced in 1995.
2012 Inductees (Wellington centenary)
- "New Zealand Rugby League Contact Details". New Zealand Rugby League. Archived from the original on 7 November 2004. Retrieved 8 December 2009.
- SPARC, 2009: 13
- Coffey and Wood The Kiwis: 100 Years of International Rugby League ISBN 1-86971-090-8
- Sir Peter Leitch takes over as NZRL patron stuff.co.nz, 28 March 2011
- John Coffey & Bernie Wood (2008). 100 Years: Maori Rugby League, 1908-2008. New Zealand: Huia Publishers. p. 61. ISBN 978-1-86969-331-2.
- SPARC, 2009: 15
- "NZRL zones". New Zealand Rugby League. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- nzrl.co.nz. "Legends of League". History. New Zealand Rugby League. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- New legends inducted as part of 100 year celebrations nzrl.co.nz, 4 June 2013
- Official site
- Independent Review Committee (February 2009). "Rugby League - Contributing to New Zealand's Future" (PDF). New Zealand: SPARC. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-10-01. Retrieved 13 December 2009.