New York Theatre Workshop (NYTW) is an Off-Broadway theatre noted for its productions of new works. Located at 79 East 4th Street between Second Avenue and Bowery in the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City, it houses a 198-seat theatre for its mainstage productions, and a 75-seat black box theatre for staged readings and developing work in the building next door, at 83 East 4th Street.
|Address||79-83 East 4th Street|
New York City
|Owner||New York Theatre Workshop, Inc.|
|Capacity||main stage: 198|
black box: 75
Founded by Stephen Graham, NYTW presents five to seven new productions, over 80 staged readings, and numerous workshop productions to an audience of over 60,000 patrons.
Some of the theatre's progeny – such as Rent and Dirty Blonde – have transferred to commercial productions. The new works of well-established playwrights, such as Caryl Churchill, Doug Wright, and Tony Kushner – a former NYTW associate artistic director – have also been produced at NYTW. In keeping with its mission, NYTW continues to bring new work from theatre legends and emerging artists alike. The theatre maintains connections with many theatrical artists, whom it refers to as "The Usual Suspects".
In 2005, NYTW purchased a vacant building at 72 East 4th Street, which it converted into scenic and costume shops. On January 11, 2006, Mayor Michael Bloomberg donated several city-owned buildings to arts organizations, including New York Theatre Workshop, on East Fourth Street, designating the block Fourth Arts Block.
James C. Nicola served as its artistic director from 1988 to June 2022. He is slated to be replaced by Patricia McGregor, who will succeed Nicola the position of artistic director in August 2022.
- Alan Ball, writer/director
- Anne Bogart, director
- Rachel Chavkin, director
- Caryl Churchill, writer
- Martha Clarke, writer/director/choreographer
- Daniel Craig, performer
- Rinde Eckert, writer/composer
- Elevator Repair Service, performance group
- The Five Lesbian Brothers, performance group
- Deb Filler, writer/ performer
- Les Freres Corbusier, performance group
- David Gordon, director/choreographer/writer
- Tony Kushner, writer
- Theater Mitu, performance group, company-in-residence
- Jonathan Larson, writer/composer
- Charles L. Mee, writer
- Will Power, writer
- Paul Rudnick, writer
- Claudia Shear, writer/performer
- Ivo van Hove, director
- Naomi Wallace, writer
- Doug Wright, writer/performer
- UNIVERSES, writers/performance ensemble
- "NYTW / Home". NYTW. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "Update on Renovation Plans: NYTW's New Scenic and Costume Shop" at NYTW site
- "Fourth Arts Block". Fourth Arts Block. Retrieved 20 April 2018.
- "James C. Nicola to Step Down From Artistic Director Position at New York Theatre Workshop in Summer 2022". broadwayworld.com. 2021-04-16. Retrieved 2021-04-26.
- "Patricia McGregor Named Artistic Director of NY Theatre Workshop". americantheatre.org. 2021-05-25. Retrieved 2021-05-25.