Jerome Biblical Commentary(Redirected from New Jerome Biblical Commentary)
The Jerome Biblical Commentary is a 1968 book of Biblical scholarship and commentary edited by Raymond Edward Brown, Joseph A. Fitzmyer, and Roland E. Murphy. It is arguably the most-used volume of Catholic scriptural commentary in the United States with the first edition selling 200,000 copies; it was also translated into Spanish, Italian and Portuguese. The book's title is a reference to Jerome, known for his translation of the Bible into Latin (the Vulgate), and his extensive Biblical commentaries.
In 1990, The New Jerome Biblical Commentary was published, by the same editors, as a revised and updated edition. In the forward to the new edition, Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini acknowledges it as the work of "the best of English-speaking Catholic exegetes... [that] condenses the results of modern scientific criticism with rigor and clarity. Yet this contemporary approach is achieved without neglecting the long road that Christian tradition has travelled in dedicated, constant, and loving attention to the Word of God.... [The pages of the Bible] are duly situated in their appropriate historical and cultural context." Martini goes on to describe it as "an instrument for rich ecumenical dialogue" that avoids "arid literalism 'that kills'" and a drift "into generalized spiritual applications." It contains, besides detailed commentary on all the books of the Bible, introductory articles on parts of the Bible and on each book as well as the following 403 pages of Topical Articles:
- APOCRYPHA; DEAD SEA SCROLLS; OTHER JEWISH LITERATURE – Raymond E. Brown, S.S., Pheme Perkins, Anthony Saldarini
- TEXT AND VERSIONS – Raymond E. Brown, S.S., D. W. Johnson, S.J., Kevin G. O'Connell, SJ.
- MODERN OLD TESTAMENT CRITICISM – Alexa Suelzer, S.P., John S. Kselman, S.S.
- MODERN NEW TESTAMENT CRITICISM – John S. Kselman, S.S., Ronald D. Witherup, S.S.
- HERMENEUTICS – Raymond E. Brown, S.S., Sandra M. Schneiders, I.H.M.
- CHURCH PRONOUNCEMENTS – Raymond E. Brown S.S., Thomas Aquinas Collins, OP.
- BIBLICAL GEOGRAPHY – Raymond E. Brown, S.S., Robert North, S.J.
- BIBLICAL ARCHAEOLOGY – Robert North, S.J., Philip J. King
- A HISTORY OF ISRAEL – Addison G. Wright, S.S., Roland E. Murphy, O.Carm., Joseph A. Fitzmyer, S.J.
- RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONS OF ISRAEL – John J. Castelot, Aelred Cody, O.S.B.
- ASPECTS OF OLD TESTAMENT THOUGHT – John L. McKenzie
- JESUS – John P. Meier
- PAUL – Joseph A. Fitzmyer, S.J.
- EARLY CHURCH – Raymond E. Brown, S.S., Carolyn Osiek, R.S.C.J., Pheme Perkins
- ASPECTS OF NEW TESTAMENT THOUGHT – Raymond E. Brown, S.S., John R. Donahue, S.J., Donald Senior, C.P., Adela Yarbro Collins
- PAULINE THEOLOGY – Joseph A. Fitzmyer, S.J.
- JOHANNINE THEOLOGY – Francis J. Moloney, S.D.B.
- Brown, Raymond Edward; Fitzmyer, Joseph A.; Murphy, Roland E., eds. (1968). The Jerome Biblical Commentary (2 volumes). Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall. ASIN B000ZGL0PI. LCCN 68009140. OCLC 355447.
- Brown, Raymond Edward; Fitzmyer, Joseph A.; Murphy, Roland E,, eds. (1990). The New Jerome Biblical Commentary. Englewood Cliffs, N.J.: Prentice-Hall. ISBN 978-0136149347.
- Brown, Raymond Edward; Fitzmyer, Joseph A.; Murphy, Roland E,, eds. (2007). Novo Comentário Bíblico São Jerônimo. São Paulo: Paulus. ISBN 9788598481197.
- Preface, New Jerome Biblical Commentary, p. xix.
- Franklin, James L. (April 11, 1993). Scholars seeing New Testament in different light. Deciphering 1st century called crucial. Boston Globe.
- Crews, Clyde F. (February 14, 1993). New Critique of Jesus' Life Is Intelligent, Provocative. Chicago Sun-Times.
- Cardinal Carlo Maria Martini, 1990. "Foreword to The New Jerome Biblical Commentary," p. xv.