New Generation Party
|President||George Leahy |
|Secretary||Quentan Cholai |
0 / 111
It was established in 2006 by former Treasurer Bart Philemon and Lae businessman Bob Sinclair. It pledged to abolish provincial governments and administrators and ban the export of whole logs, switching to downstream processing of timber in Papua New Guinea. It stated that it would not work with the government of Michael Somare, and allied with Mekere Morauta's Papua New Guinea Party. It won four seats at the 2007 election, with Philemon becoming deputy opposition leader under Morauta.
The party passed into government when Peter O'Neill ousted Somare in August 2011, and O'Neill appointed Philemon as Minister for Public Service in the new government. During the campaign for the 2012 election, Philemon argued that former Prime Ministers Julius Chan, Paias Wingti and Michael Somare should retire to allow for younger leadership. The election saw the party return three MPs: Dr William Tongamp (Jiwaka Provincial), Bire Kimisopa (Goroka Open) and Ronny Knight (Manus Open), but saw Philemon lose his seat to Loujaya Toni. Asked about the party's future at the time of his concession, Philemon stated he had "not given any thought to it at this stage".
The party initially elected Ronny Knight as their second leader after Philemon's defeat, but by 2016 Bire Kimisopa had assumed the leadership. The party crossed to the opposition in July 2016 and supported a no-confidence vote against Prime Minister O'Neill.
- "REGISTRY OF POLITICAL PARTIES" (PDF). Integrity of Political Parties and Candidates Commission. Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 April 2017. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "New Generation closer to reality". PNG Post Courier. 25 September 2006.
- "Sinclair has his say on Lae roads". PNG Post Courier. 21 March 2007.
- "Philemon party set on policies". PNG Post-Courier. 11 December 2006.
- "Bart has no faith in NA". PNG Post Courier. 27 December 2006.
- "New Generation to switch to downstream processing of logs". PNG Post Courier. 30 March 2007.
- "PNG polling extended". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 9 July 2007.
- "Sir Mekere to lead the Opposition". PNG Post Courier. 17 August 2007.
- "Philemon calls for stewardship in PNG". PNG Post Courier. 23 September 2011.
- "Young leaders to take lead". PNG Post Courier. 18 June 2012.
- "Philemon bows out of the Lae Open Seat". PNG Post Courier. 24 July 2012.
- "New Generation to elect new leader". PNG Post Courier. 20 August 2012.
- "PNG Parliament tested". PACNEWS. 27 November 2012.
- "Lobbying intensifies ahead of PNG no confidence vote". Radio New Zealand News International. 16 July 2016.