New Cross Gate TMD
New Cross Gate Depot is a railway depot in New Cross, South East London. The depot is situated on the London Overground East London Line and is to the north of New Cross Gate station beside the Brighton Main Line. It replaced the smaller New Cross Depot that serviced the predecessor London Underground line.
|Location||New Cross, Lewisham|
|Owner(s)||London Overground Bombardier Transportation|
|Depot code(s)||NG (1973 -)|
London Underground East London LineEdit
Light maintenance and stabling took place at the smaller New Cross depot alongside the South Eastern Main Line on the New Cross branch of the East London line, with heavier work done at Neasden Depot on the Metropolitan line. Between 1985 and 1987, D78 stock operated the line before being replaced by A60 and A62 stock. This depot closed when the line was transferred from London Underground, and was subsequently demolished.
The current depot was constructed in 2009 to stable British Rail Class 378 stock for the new London Overground service. Unlike the LUL East London Line New Cross depot, this depot was constructed north of New Cross Gate and beside the Brighton Main Line.
2014/5: Capitalstar 378 conversion to five car unitsEdit
To cope with increased demand, the class 378 units which operate on the line were extended from four to five cars, requiring the depot to be extended by 20 metres (66 ft).
- "The all-time guide to UK Shed and Depot Codes" (PDF). TheRailwayCentre.com. 5 May 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 December 2013. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- Webster, Greengrass & Greaves 1987, p. 57
- "10th November 2016 Highbury & Islington to New Cross C.S.D". Realtime Trains. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- Phillip Lindhurst. "New Cross Depot". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Smith & Stuart 2010, p. 76
- Transport for London (16 March 2013). "New Cross Gate Depot". Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Smith, Paul; Stuart, Philip (2010). Railway Depots. Ian Allan Ltd. ISBN 9780711034822. OCLC 528397749.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)
- Webster, Neil; Greengrass, Robert; Greaves, Simon (1987). British Rail Depot Directory. Metro Enterprises Ltd. ISBN 9780947773076. OCLC 20420397.CS1 maint: ref=harv (link)