New Caney High School
New Caney High School is a public secondary school in New Caney and is a part of the New Caney Independent School District. NCHS is currently a 5A school. The school has received recognition for its JROTC program, band, journalism program, DECA program and Academic Decathlon team.
|New Caney High School|
21650 Loop 494
|School type||Public high school|
|Motto||Eagles Fly Strong and Proud|
|School district||New Caney Independent School District|
|Faculty||127.3 Full-time teachers (2016-2017)|
|Enrollment||1,945 (as of 2017-18)|
|Student to teacher ratio||13.95:1 (2015-2016)(|
|Color(s)||Blue & White|
|Athletics conference||UIL Class AAAAA|
|Mascot||American bald eagle|
|Website||New Caney High School|
As of the 2017-18 school year, the school had an enrollment of 1,945 students. 62% of students were listed as economically disadvantaged and 11.7% of students were English Language Learners. For the 2015-16 school year, the teacher-student ratio was 13.95:1.
New Caney High School offers Advanced Placement courses, athletics, career and technology courses, dual credit, National Honor Society, and a host of special programs.
New Caney ISD became an independent school district in 1938. The high school was named New Caney High School and the first graduating class had a total of nine students. It was not until the late 1960s that New Caney High School started to see an increase in student enrollment. The following is a sampling of the student population growth of New Caney High School.
|1952||72 students||1955||1200 students|
|1961||121 students||2004||1700 students|
|1969||468 students||2009||2400 students|
|1976||800 students||2010||Porter High School opened|
|1985||1000 students||2015||1700 students|
At the beginning of each school year, the Texas Education Agency assigns schools a grade based on three different indices: Student Achievement, School Progress, and Closing the Gaps. For each index, schools are classified as "Met Standard" if they receive a grade of at least 60 out of 100. In 2018, New Caney High School received an overall score of 68 and was classified as "Met Standard." The school received scores of 71 in Student Achievement, 69 in School Progress, and 60 in Closing the Gaps. In addition, the agency also awards schools with "Distinction Designations" if they outperform schools with similar demographics. In 2018, New Caney High School did not achieve any of the possible seven Distinction Designations.
- New Caney Elementary
- Porter Elementary (Partial)
- Valley Ranch
Two middle schools (6-8) feed into New Caney High School: New Caney Middle School and Keefer Crossing.
- "Profile: New Caney H S". Texas Education Agency. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- School data for New Caney H S, National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- "New Caney High School:School Profile". New Caney High School. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "Overview: New Caney H S". Texas Education Agency. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- 2018-2019 Elementary Zones. New Caney Independent School District. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- High School Zones. New Caney Independent School District. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- 2018-2019 District Wide Street Listing. New Caney Independent School District. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Middle School Zones. New Caney Independent School District. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Adam Dunn Stats, Fantasy & News". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "NASA Biographical Data". NASA.
- "Sundance Head". NBC. 2016-12-14.