Kali NetHunter is a free and open-source mobile penetration testing platform for Android devices, based on Kali Linux. Kali NetHunter is available for un-rooted devices (NetHunter Rootless), for rooted devices that have a custom recovery (NetHunter Lite), and for rooted devices with custom recovery for which a NetHunter specific kernel is available (NetHunter). Official images are published by Offensive Security on their download page and are updated every quarter. NetHunter images with custom kernels are published for the most popular supported devices, such as Google Nexus, Samsung Galaxy and OnePlus. Many more models are supported, and images not published by Offensive Security can be generated using NetHunter build scripts. Kali NetHunter is maintained by a community of volunteers, and is funded by Offensive Security.
Kali NetHunter home screen
|Initial release||24 September 2014|
2020.1 / 28 January 2020
2020.2-pre3 / 1 April 2020
|Written in||C, Java, Kotlin, Python, Bash|
|Operating system||Android, Kali Linux|
Background and historyEdit
Version 1.1 was released in January 2015 and added support for Oneplus devices & non-english keyboard layouts for HID attacks.
Version 3.0 was released in January 2016 after a major rewrite of the application, installer, and kernel building framework. This version also introduced support for devices running Android Marshmallow.
Version 2019.2 was released in May 2019 and switched to kali-rolling as its Kali Linux container. It adopted the Kali Linux versioning and release cycle to reflect that change. With this release, the number of supported Android devices grew to over 50.
Version 2019.4 was released in December 2019 and premiered the "Kali NetHunter Desktop Experience."
Before December 2019, Kali NetHunter was only available for selected Android devices. Installing Kali NetHunter required a device that:
In December 2019, "Kali NetHunter Lite" and "Kali NetHunter Rootless" editions were released to allow users of devices for which no NetHunter specific kernels were available, and users of devices that are not rooted, to install Kali NetHunter with a reduced set of functionality.
In addition to the penetration testing tools included with desktop Kali Linux, NetHunter also enables Wireless 802.11 frame injection, one-click MANA Evil Access Points, HID keyboard functionality (for Teensy-like attacks), as well as BadUSB man-in-the-middle /(MitM) attacks.
NetHunter App StoreEdit
- "Kali NetHunter Documentation | Kali Linux Documentation". www.kali.org. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- Shaikh, Farhan (2020-01-30). "Kali Linux 2020.1 Released With New Tools, NetHunter Rootless Edition". TechViral. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "Kali NetHunter Documentation | Supported devices". www.kali.org. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "Kali Linux NetHunter - Nexus and OnePlus Downloads". Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "Here's how to install Kali NetHunter on any Android device". Android Authority. 2018-08-13. Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- "Group members · NetHunter". GitLab. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "NetHunter 1.1 Released". Hack Insight. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- May 11; NetHunter, 2015 Kali. "NetHunter 1.2 – Lollipop & Nexus 6/9 | Offensive Security". Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "Kali NetHunter 3.0 Released". www.offensive-security.com. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- Schirrmacher, Dennis (May 23, 2019). "Werkzeug für Sicherheitsforscher: Das neue Kali Linux ist da". heise online (in German). Retrieved 2020-03-14.
- Bhartiya, Swapnil. "The New Kali Linux Is Here » Linux Magazine". Linux Magazine. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "Getting started With NetHunter The New Android Store Dedicated to Free Security Apps 2020". Smtechub. 2020-06-18. Retrieved 2020-07-11.
- "Kali Linux 2019.3 Released With New Hacking Tools, Helper Scripts and Metapackages – Cyber Security". Prodefence - Cyber security. 2019-09-03. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- linuxtechnews (2019-09-06). "Kali Linux 2019.3 Released, Which Includes Various New Features". LinuxTechNews. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "Kali Linux for Android". TechSpot. Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- online, heise. "Kali Linux 2020.1 aktualisiert Startmedien-Auswahl und mustert Standard-Root aus". Security (in German). Retrieved 2020-04-05.
- "App-Store für Kali NetHunter". Pro-Linux (in German). Retrieved 2020-03-14.