Neil Jason, is an American session bass guitarist, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, producer and composer. In a career spanning more than 30 years, he has worked with some of the biggest recording artists, including John Lennon, Billy Joel, Roxy Music, Mick Jagger, Pete Townshend, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Kiss, Michael Jackson, Brecker Brothers, Cyndi Lauper, Harry Chapin, Dire Straits, Bryan Ferry, Michael Franks, Eddie Van Halen and tenor Luciano Pavarotti. He also writes for TV and film.
Jason in August 2014
|Born||New York City, New York, U.S.|
Neil Jason was born and raised in New York City. He grew up in Brooklyn and began playing the trumpet in the sixth grade. He went on to play in all the school bands, not only the trumpet, but also saxophone and trombone. He started taking piano lessons to learn more about music. He did not play the bass guitar until he was in high school.
Neil Jason has identified his influences as a combination of his school training on trumpet, saxophone, and piano (giving his fingers strength and dexterity). Bands who influenced him included Chase, Dreams and Chicago, and the musicians who influenced him included James Jamerson, Bob Babbitt, Larry Graham and Sly Stone.
- "Neil Jason : Credits". Discogs.com. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Neil Jason, retrieved October 10, 2015
- "Interview – Neil Jason". For Bass Players Only. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- "Markbass - Neil Jason". Markbass.it. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- Brigitte Zarie - Sound Portrait, retrieved October 9, 2015