Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement
The Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement (NCA; Burmese: တစ်နိုင်ငံလုံး ပစ်ခတ်တိုက်ခိုက်မှု ရပ်စဲရေးသဘောတူစာချုပ်) was a landmark ceasefire agreement between the government of Myanmar and representatives of various ethnic insurgent groups, officially known as "ethnic armed organisations" (EAOs) by the government. The draft was agreed upon by a majority of the invited parties on 31 March 2015, and the agreement was signed by President Thein Sein on 15 October 2015. The signing was witnessed by observers and delegates from the United Nations, the United Kingdom, Norway, Japan and the United States. A ceremony is held by the government annually on the anniversary of the signing of the agreement.
|Drafted||31 March 2015|
|Signed||15 October 2015|
|Depositary||Government of Myanmar|
The government of Myanmar originally sent invitations to 15 different ethnic insurgent groups, inviting them to participate in long-term peace negotiations. However, seven of those invited declined or dropped out during negotiations due to perceived unfairness.
- "Myanmar's Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement - Institute for Security and Development Policy". Institute for Security and Development Policy. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "Myanmar signs ceasefire with eight armed groups". Reuters. 14 October 2015. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "Asia Unbound » Myanmar's Cease-Fire Deal Comes up Short". Archived from the original on 9 October 2015. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- Ray Pagnucco and Jennifer Peters (15 October 2015). "Myanmar's National Ceasefire Agreement isn't all that national". Vice News. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- Thiha, Amara. "On the second anniversary of the NCA, is Myanmar keeping peace on track?". Frontier Myanmar. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement is a Forlorn Hope". The Irrawaddy. 12 October 2017. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "Myanmar Signs Historic Cease-Fire Deal With Eight Ethnic Armies". Radio Free Asia. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- Zaw Lin, Nyein; Min Mang, Lun (24 January 2018). "New Mon State Party, Lahu Democratic Union to sign ceasefire". The Myanmar Times. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "2 groups join Myanmar government's peace process". AP News. 13 February 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "New Mon State Party and Lahu Democratic Union sign NCA". Office of the President of Myanmar. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "Analysis: A Win for Peace Commission as Mon, Lahu Groups Sign NCA". The Irrawaddy. 13 February 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- "NCA signing ceremony for NMSP, LDU to take place on 13 Feb". Mizzima. 6 February 2018. Retrieved 28 March 2018.