National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling
The National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling is a bipartisan presidential commission, established by Executive Order 13543 signed by Barack Obama on May 21, 2010, that is "tasked with providing recommendations on how the United States can prevent and mitigate the impact of any future spills that result from offshore drilling." It came about as a result of the April 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill. The first public hearings, held on July 12 and 13, 2010 in New Orleans, included scheduled testimony from Federal government officials and representatives of BP on the status of the spill and clean-up efforts, as well as from local officials, community leaders, and scientists on the economic, cultural, and ecological impacts of the oil spill on Gulf Coast communities and ecosystems.
On October 6, 2010 the commission released preliminary reports criticizing the Obama administration for mismanagement of its response to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Amongst other things cited were, not being fully candid with the American people, and giving the impression of not being fully competent.
- Bob Graham, former Governor of Florida and U.S. Senator (co-chair)
- William K. Reilly, former Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (co-chair)
- Frances G. Beinecke, President of Natural Resources Defense Council
- Donald Boesch, President of University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science
- Terry D. Garcia, Executive Vice President for Mission Programs for the National Geographic Society
- Cherry A. Murray, Dean of the Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and John A. and Elizabeth S. Armstrong Professor of Engineering and Applied Sciences
- Frances Ulmer, Chancellor of the University of Alaska Anchorage and former Lieutenant Governor of Alaska
- "President Obama Announces Members of the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling Commission" (Press release). The Whitehouse. 14 June 2010. Archived from the original on 3 July 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2010.
- Rodriguez, Maya (12 July 2010). "National oil spill commission begins two-day hearing In New Orleans". WWL TV. Archived from the original on 16 July 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2010.
- "First Public Meeting Agenda" (Press release). National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling. Archived from the original on 15 July 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2010.
- Steven Mufson and David A. Fahrenthold (7 October 2010). "Administration's response to gulf spill ill-managed, report says". The Washington Post. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- Steven Mufson (7 October 2010). "Panel catalogs many White House missteps on gulf oil spill". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 7 October 2010.
- "Report to the President". Retrieved 2011-01-11.
- Broder, John M., "Oil Spill Panel Calls for New Rules and Spending", The New York Times, January 11, 2011. Retrieved 2011-01-11.
- National Commission on the BP Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Offshore Drilling—official site (archived version)
- Works by National Commission on the BP Deepwater Spill at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)