Nancy Birdsall (born February 6, 1946) is the founding president of the Center for Global Development (CGD) in Washington, DC, USA, and former executive vice-president of the Inter-American Development Bank. She co-founded CGD in November 2001 with C. Fred Bergsten and Edward W. Scott, Jr. and served as president until 2016. Prior to becoming the President of CGD, Birdsall served for three years as Senior Associate and Director of the Economic Reform Project at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Her work at Carnegie focused on issues of globalization and inequality, as well as on the reform of the international financial institutions. From 1993 to 1998, At the Inter-American Development Bank, the largest of the regional development banks, she oversaw a $30 billion public and private loan portfolio. Before joining the Inter-American Development Bank, Birdsall spent 14 years in research, policy, and management positions at the World Bank, most recently as director of the Policy Research Department.
Birdsall is the author, co-author, or editor of more than a dozen books and over 100 articles in scholarly journals and monographs, published in English and Spanish. Shorter pieces of her writing have appeared in dozens of U.S. and Latin American newspapers and periodicals. She has also been quoted in "The Onion."
Birdsall received a Ph.D. in Economics from Yale University in 1979. She also holds an M.A. in International Relations from the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies of Johns Hopkins University that she received in 1969. She earned a B.A. in American Studies from Newton College of the Sacred Heart in 1967. She has two daughters and one son.
- Center for Global Development : About CGD
- "Nancy Birdsall". Center for Global Development. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "Report: Global Warming Issue From 2 Or 3 Years Ago May Still Be Problem". The Onion. The Onion News. Retrieved 27 July 2017.
- Nancy Birdsall at the Center for Global Development (CGD)
- Graham, Carol; Birdsall, Nancy; Pettinato, Stefano (August 2000). "Stuck in the Tunnel: Is Globalization Muddling the Middle Class?" (pdf). 14. Working Paper. Center on Social and Economic Dynamics.
- Birdsall, Nancy, ed. (2008). The White House and the World: A Global Development Agenda for the Next U.S. President. CGD. ISBN 9781933286242.
- Birdsall, Nancy; Rodrik, Dani; Subramanian, Arvind (July 2005). "How to Help Poor Countries". Foreign Affairs. Council on Foreign Relations. (Registration required (. ))
- Appearances on C-SPAN