NHS Lanarkshire is responsible for the health care of more than 652,000 people living within the council areas of North Lanarkshire and South Lanarkshire in Scotland, making it the third largest health board in the country after NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde and NHS Lothian.  NHS Lanarkshire employs approximately 12,000 staff. The board is based at Kirklands, Fallside Road in Bothwell, South Lanarkshire.
|Headquarters||Kirklands, Bothwell, South Lanarkshire|
|Region served||North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire|
|Area size||4,732 square kilometres|
|Hospitals||List of hospitals in Scotland|
|Number of employees||12,000|
There are three district general hospitals in the area - Hairmyres Hospital, Monklands Hospital and University Hospital Wishaw. Each of has an accident and emergency department and provides a range of specialist medical and surgical services. Maternity and paediatric services are based at University Hospital Wishaw.
In 2012-2013, the board had to set aside £50m of its £980m budget for the PFI hospitals at Hairmyres and Wishaw.
The board's proposals to withdraw the out-of-hours GP service at Wishaw General Hospital and centralise the service at either Hamilton or Airdrie because of difficulties recruiting GPs to work out of hours have been opposed by John Pentland. The board's review was independently verified by the Scottish Health Council, which found they had complied with the national guidance service change. Its proposal to end referrals to Glasgow's Centre for Integrative Care for services such as acupuncture was opposed by Elaine Smith. The Scottish Health Council took the view that the equality impact assessment did not reflect the disproportionate impact on people with long-term conditions and disabilities and how it would be mitigated. 4,800 people responding to the board’s public consultation and 80.6% voted to continue.
The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges and Faculties in Scotland produced a report entitled “Learning from serious failings in care” in July 2015. They found above-average mortality rates at Monklands Hospital and called on NHS Lanarkshire to make widespread improvements.
Some data was found which had apparently been submitted late and when this was analysed it was found that the mortality rates were NOT statistically different to the rest of Scotland.
- "NHS Population Projections".
- "About Us". NHS Lanarkshire. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Funding the future: New wave of NHS 'big build' projects". BBC News. 7 May 2014. Retrieved 9 September 2014.
- "Community Hospitals". NHS Lanarkshire. Retrieved 10 July 2014.
- "Scottish Health secretary Shona Robison urged to intervene to stop the axing of the out-of-hours GP service at Wishaw General". Daily Record. 11 June 2015. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Campaigners take fight for homeopathic hospital to Holyrood". Evening Times. 9 June 2015. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Patients are being 'denied democracy', claims group fighting to save Scotland's 'last hope' hospital". The National. 8 June 2015. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "NHS accused of 'systemic failings'". Edinburgh News. 10 July 2015. Retrieved 12 July 2015.