Mystery Woman is the name of a series of 11 made-for-television mystery films released by the Hallmark Channel between 2003 and 2007, and now appearing regularly on the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries. While on the Hallmark Channel, it was broadcast in rotation with the movie series McBride, Murder 101, and Jane Doe, under the umbrella title Hallmark Channel Mystery Wheel.
|Created by||Michael Sloan|
|Written by||Michael Sloan|
Clarence Williams III
|Music by||Joe Kraemer|
|Country of origin||USA|
|No. of episodes||11|
|Executive producer(s)||Robert Halmi Jr.|
|Running time||80–84 min.|
|Production company(s)||Alpine Medien Productions|
Larry Levinson Productions
|Original network||Hallmark Channel|
|Original release||August 31, 2003 –|
January 13, 2007
Mystery Woman stars Kellie Martin as Samantha Kinsey, proprietor of a bookstore specializing in mystery books who gets involved in solving real-life mysteries. Martin has also directed two episodes.
- Kellie Martin as Samantha Kinsey: an avid murder-mystery fan who inherits a bookstore in the first film. Her extensive knowledge of murder-mystery books assists her in her amateur sleuthing. In the pilot, she is divorced, but this is never mentioned in the other films.
- J.E. Freeman in the first film, Clarence Williams III in subsequent films as Philby[note 1]: Caretaker of the bookstore, later revealed to have worked in a secret agency for the government identified as O.S.D. Level 6 in Mystery Woman: Oh Baby. He is like a father figure to Samantha.
- Constance Zimmer in the first film, replaced by Nina Siemaszko in subsequent films as Cassie Hillman: An assistant to the District Attorney, and personal friend of Samantha's.
- Casey Sander as Chief Connors: The often-foiled police chief who is quick to arrest before Samantha usually proves him wrong. Despite the fact that he hates it when Samantha interferes in his investigations, Chief Connors does care for her, as shown in the last episode of the series Mystery Woman: In the Shadows when he tells her that she may be a pain in the backside but she is his pain in the backside. His affection is also shown in his nickname for her: "Snoopy".
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date|
|1||"Mystery Woman: Pilot"||Walter Klenhard||Michael Sloan||August 31, 2003|
|2||"Mystery Woman: Mystery Weekend"||Mark Griffiths||Michael Sloan (creator), Joyce Burditt||January 7, 2005|
A recluse hit author Clare Beckman (Beth Broderick) is about to announce her retirement at Samantha's bookshop when a gunshot is heard. While Clare manages to dodge the bullet, she is killed by cleverly planted bee venom which kills her instantly due to her being allergic to bees, a fact which few people knew about.
|3||"Mystery Woman: Snapshot"||Georg Stanford Brown||Michael Sloan (creator), Joyce Burditt||January 28, 2005|
Samantha's close friend Barbara (Patty McCormack) is agitated when she is left out of her brother Avery's will who recently died in a car crash. Barbara now suspects that there may be more to her brother's death. She requests Samantha to develop some photographs she took on Avery's birthday (on the day of the crash), certain that an explanation can be found but also worried that she can't trust anyone from her family including the family lawyer, Benson, who is trying to prove her unstable. Before Samantha can get back to her, Barbara is shot and murdered. Samantha investigates her friend's death with almost every family member of Barbara's making it on to the suspect list.
|4||"Mystery Woman: Sing Me a Murder"||Stephen Bridgewater||Michael Sloan (creator), Joyce Burditt||February 25, 2005|
Mystery Woman bookshop owner, Samantha Kinsey, has offered to host a charity concert for a once-famous folk-rock trio out to recapture their old fame. But the band's promoter is found murdered in his hotel room. Samantha and her partner in crime, Philby, set out to investigate and must ask all the band members to relive memories from their hazy past if they want to find the truth.
|5||"Mystery Woman: Vision of a Murder"||Kellie Martin||Michael Sloan (creator), Joyce Burditt||June 5, 2005|
Samantha is invited to a state of the art resort and spa to shoot photographs for their brochure. Samantha and her friend Cassie meet the staff and other guests but soon one of the guests, Debbie, is found murdered incidentally right after her friend and fellow guest Alice discovered Debbie was having an affair with her husband. All the guests at the healing center become suspects as Samantha tries to find the killer.
|6||"Mystery Woman: Game Time"||David S. Cass Sr.||Michael Sloan (creator), Mark Saraceni||August 21, 2005|
An old friend from Samantha's elementary school days trying to sell his latest mystery video game and a reclusive author holding a book signing at Mystery Woman don't seem likely to cross paths. But a fatal poisoning using a biological weapon screams GAME OVER for one of them. Now Samantha has to play detective or risk losing more than just a game.
|7||"Mystery Woman: At First Sight"||Kellie Martin||Michael Sloan (creator), Mark Saraceni||January 21, 2006|
|8||"Mystery Woman: Wild West Mystery"||David S. Cass Sr.||Michael Sloan (creator), Joyce Bruditt, Paul Bruditt||March 18, 2006|
Samantha is helping plan the Wild West Days event in her town of Walden, which will include the famous Clint Lawson and his gang of actors from the Red River Days Western-themed TV show. But an accident with Clint's saddle and the shooting of one of the Red River Days cast members forces Samantha, Philby, Cassie, and Chief Connors to saddle up to roust out ugly secrets from these cowboys and cowgirls.
|9||"Mystery Woman: Oh Baby"||David S. Cass Sr.||Michael Sloan (creator), Joyce Bruditt, Mark Saraceni||August 19, 2006|
|10||"Mystery Woman: Redemption"||David S. Cass Sr.||Michael Sloan (creator), Joyce Bruditt||November 6, 2006|
|11||"Mystery Woman: In the Shadows"||David S. Cass Sr.||Michael Sloan (creator), Eric Enroth, Patricia Tait||January 13, 2007|
While searching for a KGB double agent who was about to be exposed by another Russian spy-turned-successful author, Samantha and Philby are thrust into the murderous world of international espionage.
- In the pilot, he is named Ian Philby. However, in Mystery Woman: In the Shadows, his name is Philby Cross.
- "MYSTERY WOMAN: SNAPSHOT and SING ME A MURDER (DVD)". georgekelly.org. 28 June 2016.
- "The One Thing 'ER' & 'Life Goes On' Star Kellie Martin Would Change About Her 34-Year Career". bustle.com. 2 August 2017.