Murai Mappillai is a 1995 Indian Tamil-language comedy film directed by Sundar C. The film stars newcomers Arun Vijay (known at the time as Arunkumar) and Kirthika, with Rajashree, Manivannan, K. Prabakaran, Goundamani and Senthil playing supporting roles. It was released on 15 December 1995. 
|Directed by||Sundar C.|
|Written by||Sundar C.|
K. Selva Bharathy (dialogues)
|Produced by||K. Prabhakaran|
|Cinematography||U. K. Senthil Kumar|
|Edited by||Lancy — Mohan|
Kai Ezhuthu Gounder and Kai Naattu Gounder are the village's bigwig and best friends. While their children Raja and Indhu hate each other, they are classmates and quarrel continually. In contrast, their fathers want them to get married. Sorna, a dancer, comes to their village to separate the two friends. Raja and Kirthika finally fall in love with each other. Sorna seduces the two friends and creates a conflict between them. In the past, Kai Ezhuthu Gounder and Kai Naattu Gounder attempted to rape Sorna's sister but before it happened, she chose to commit suicide. Since that day, Sorna wanted to take revenge. Raja and Indhu are then distraught by their fathers. Sorna only wanted to punish Kai Ezhuthu Gounder and Kai Naattu Gounder but not the young lovers, so she comes to their rescue. What transpires later forms the crux of the story.
- Arunkumar as Raja
- Kirthika as Indhu
- Rajashree as Sorna
- Manivannan as Kai Ezhuthu Gounder, Raja's father
- K. Prabhakaran as Kai Naattu Gounder, Indhu's father
- Goundamani as Ramesh
- Senthil as Sumesh
- Kalaranjini as Raja's mother
- Pandu as Hitler, college principal
- Suresh Chakravarthy
- Halwa Vasu as Pakri
- Vichu Vishwanath
- Kottai Perumal
- Gundu Kalyanam
- Karuppu Subbiah
- Bonda Mani
- Omakuchi Narasimhan
- Idichapuli Selvaraj
- Jaguar Thangam
- Prabhu Solomon (uncredited role)
The film marked the introduction of Arun Vijay, son of actor Vijayakumar into films. The first film Arun Kumar signed was Love Story. But as its music composer, A. R. Rahman, was very busy, producer K. Prabakaran signed him up for Murai Mappillai directed by Sundar C. During the making of the film, Sundar C fell out with the makers, and the venture was finished by Anbalaya Prabhakaran. Prabhu Solomon who went on to direct films like Mynaa (2010) and Kumki (2012) completed the post-production works of the film.
|Soundtrack album by |
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The film score and the soundtrack were composed by Swararaj, who debuted in Tamil cinema as a music director with this film. The soundtrack, released in 1995, features 7 tracks with lyrics written by Vaali and Bharati Puthran.
|3||"Ezhulagam"||T. L. Maharajan||2:27|
|4||"Maama Maama"||Manivannan, K. Prabakaran, Mano, Sujatha Mohan||4:09|
|5||"Sikkunu Mutham"||Shahul Hameed, Swarnalatha, Chorus||3:14|
|6||"Thendral Kaatre"||S. Janaki||3:57|
|7||"Unnai Marunthu"||P. Unni Krishnan, K. S. Chithra||4:00|
- ^ "Murai Maappillai (1995) Tamil Movie". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- ^ "Filmography of murai mappillai". Cinesouth. Archived from the original on 29 September 2013. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- ^ S. R. Ashok Kumar (5 May 2006). "His career makes a steady progress". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 July 2014.
- ^ "Sundar C – "Rajini said NO to that song!" – BOFTA Masterclass – BW" – via www.youtube.com.
- ^ S. R. Ashok Kumar (28 January 2012). "Audio Beat: Aasamy". The Hindu. Retrieved 16 July 2014.