Muirkirk & North Lowther Uplands Special Protection Area
Muirkirk & North Lowther Uplands Special Protection Area is an extensive area of moorland extending south from near Darvel in northern Ayrshire to near Kirkconnel in Dumfries and Galloway. The SPA is of outstanding interest for its variety of upland habitats and breeding birds.
There are large tracts of blanket bog, wet and dry heaths and upland grasslands which provide a diversity of habitats that supports a rich variety of moorland breeding birds.
- Birdlife Fact Sheet for Airds Moss and Muirkirk Uplands
- Joint Nature Conservation Committee
- Scottish Executive announcement of launch of SPA on 7 March 2003
- Scottish Natural Heritage
- UK Biodiversity Action Plan for Black Grouse
|This article related to a protected area in Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This East Ayrshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|