This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Mokete Shadrack Chakela, more commonly known as Mosotho Chakela or just Chakela, was born 1963 in Mafeteng, Lesotho in Southern Africa. He is a cultural music singer in a popular Lesotho musical tradition called famo.
Mosotho Chakela rose to prominence with his first album named Manka le Phallang 1. The album was released in 1999 by the Shear Record Company, and it sold enough copies to achieve platinum status. The album has hits like "O ka nketsang", "Ha ke noa joala" and "Mosali". He came to the spotlight again the following year with another hit album called Manka le phallang no.2. He has since been consistent, releasing hit after hit.
Apart from his singing talent, Chakela is a successful businessman in Lesotho. He owns 13 liqueur stores, seven of which are located in the capital city of Lesotho, Maseru. Three of those are in Leribe while the remaining three are in the second largest town where he was born, Mafeteng.
Chakela has used his prominence as a musician to make political points. In his second album, he talks about the political leaders of Lesotho which made him an eye opener to many Basotho nations. In the politics of Lesotho he is aligned with the All Basotho Convention.
- "Summary of Events in Lesotho, Volume 14, Number 3 (Third Quarter 2007)" (PDF). Transformation Resource Centre. September 2007. p. 11. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- Mojapelo, Max. Beyond Memory: Recording the history, moments and memories of South African Music. African Minds. p. 301. ISBN 978-1-920299-28-6. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- "TRADITIONAL MUSICIANS HONOURED". National Heritage Council, South Africa. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- PC FM 95.6 MHz Ha Ntatae! (22 October 1999)
- Moafrika fm (13 January 2000) http://www.moafrikafm.co.ls[permanent dead link]
|This Lesothan biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on an African singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|