Montagu Hospital is in Mexborough, a district of Doncaster, in South Yorkshire, England. It is managed by the Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, which also includes Bassetlaw District General Hospital and the Doncaster Royal Infirmary.
|Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
|Location||Mexborough, South Yorkshire, England|
|Lists||Hospitals in England|
The hospital has its origins in a small cottage hospital which opened at Bank Street in Mexborough in 1890. After local officials decided to build a new hospital, it moved to a new site, leased from Andrew Montagu, in 1905. Local people paid a halfpenny a week to finance the venture which initially only had 14 beds. The size of the hospital grew steadily although between 1919 and 1939, the number of hospital beds increased from 48 to 120. It joined the National Health Service in 1948.
The hospital has a Rehabilitation Centre, believed to be the first of its kind in the UK, which was opened in October 2013, as well as a Minor Injuries Unit staffed by emergency nurse practitioners. The £3.8m Fred & Ann Green Rehabilitation Centre has 18 single bed rooms specially designed to help people who are recovering from conditions that require intensive therapeutic, medical and nursing care. There is a rehabilitation programme seven days a week.
- Westby, Amy (18 June 2012). "Mexborough Montagu Hospital braced for doctors' strike". www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- "Montagu Hospital, Mexborough". National Archives. Retrieved 7 December 2018.
- "Retro: Opening of Mexborough's 'people's' hospital". Doncaster Free Press. 18 May 2018. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Cherry, Steven (2006). "4: Regional comparators in the funding and organisation in the voluntary hospital system c1860–1939". In Gorsky, Martin; Sheard, Sally (eds.). Financing Medicine; The British Experience since 1750. London: Routledge. p. 75. ISBN 978-0-415-35025-9.
- "Mexborough hospital urges people to use Minor Injuries Unit". Doncaster Free Press. 13 July 2015. Retrieved 24 August 2015.
- "New ward opens at Mexborough rehabilitation centre". Doncaster Free Press. 17 December 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2015.