Left: Mevius Extra Lights, Right: Mevius 100's Box
|Produced by||Japan Tobacco|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mevius (Japan Tobacco).|
- 1 History
- 2 Controversy
- 3 Sport sponsorship
- 4 Marketing
- 5 Markets
- 6 Products
- 7 In popular culture
- 8 See also
- 9 Notes
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Mevius was launched in 1977 under the name Mild Seven and was intended to be a mild version of the Seven Stars brand in Japan in 1977, it was launched overseas in 1981. It is the first brand that adopted the charcoal filter in American blend in Japan. Initially it was designed to treat Mild Seven similar to Seven Stars, but in accordance with the fact that JT changed the F1 participation brand from Cabin (another Japanese brand owned by JT) to Mild Seven in 1994, the vertical blue left side of the white background was changed to a belt design. At the time of this, the advertising slogan "The blue world of mild seven" was used in the television commercials, and after that blue became the colour of choice for the brand.
The cigarettes are the third most widely smoked cigarette in the world with 76.5 billion around the world, behind Marlboro and Camel. The Mevius under the Mild Seven name has been a top seller since its creation in 1977 and is the second largest cigarette brand in the world.
On August 8, 2012, Japan Tobacco announced that the longtime Mild Seven brand name would be changed to Mevius, due to legislation around the branding of cigarettes as "mild" in some countries; and in an attempt to strengthen the brand's "premium image". The name change began in Japan in February, followed by Singapore and Korea the following month.
Counterfeit Mild Sevens from North KoreaEdit
In 2006, it was reported that counterfeit Mild Seven cigarettes were smuggled and sold outside of Japan.
The pack design is very similar but the quality of the cigarettes such as scent and taste are not. The tobacco used in the counterfeit cigarettes is not comparable with genuine brands.
According to the survey results both inside and outside of Japan, there is strong suspicion that these fake cigarette are manufactured as a part of the foreign currency fund acquisition activity by North Korea.
Mild Sevens recalled due to faulty filterEdit
In December 2007, Japan Tobacco recalled some of the Mild Seven brand cigarettes sold in stores in Tokyo and neighbouring prefectures because of faulty filters.
Japan Tobacco said 14,500 cigarettes would be recalled, including 2,500 faulty ones, which were shipped to 225 stores in Tokyo and three other prefectures on December 13, 2007. The faulty filters of the cigarettes were not glued on properly and were likely to come off, the company said.
Japan Tobacco planned to finish the recall by the end of Wednesday, said company spokeswoman Shoko Hamamoto.
JTI Korea pays Instagram users to promote MeviusEdit
In September 2017, it was reported that JTI Korea had been paying Instagram users who had a lot of followers to post photos of its Mevius brand cigarettes, according to a document obtained by The Korea Times.
In return, Instagram "influencers," most of whom were men in their 20s and 30s, are said to have received as much as 5 million Won ($4,400) for each post. These photos primarily aim to spark interest in Mevius among women who follow young, fashion-savvy men who upload photos of their daily lives. A bigger program with JTI's marketing on the photo-centered social networking service (SNS) platform is that underage users are indiscriminately exposed to these photos glamorizing cigarettes because anyone, regardless of age, can join Instagram and view pictures posted by others. In Korea's "Tobacco Business Act", there are no specific rules yet governing cigarette makers' marketing and sales activities on Instagram, Facebook and other SNS platforms.
One Instagram user came forward and informed The Korea Times of Instagram Influencer Guidelines to let the public know about JTI Korea's dubious SNS marketing. He said he was approached by a person from JTI Korea's marketing team in June 2017. "JTI systematically recruited young male Instagram users who have at least 10,000 followers" the user said anonymously. "I heard they were offered 4 to 5 million Won for each post for a month, depending on the number of their followers. The users were given this piece of paper outlining how they should take photos and depict them". The company's marketing tactic is disgraceful, he said, stressing minors, particularly young girls, have been exposed to hundreds of photos that beautify smoking. "Many young girls closely follow these handsome men in their 20s and 30s who regularly post photos of their well-shaped bodies. They have certainly viewed many of these Mevius pictures" the user said. "I decided to let people know about JTI's unethical marketing, due to concerns that teenagers may become more inclined to smoke cigarettes".
JTI's guidelines outline how Instagram users take photos and what phrases they should use when depicting photos. However, JTI Korea denied drawing up such guidelines, stressing it had never conducted marketing on SNS. "Our company's internal policies forbid illegal marketing activities" a company official said. "JTI Korea strictly observes all relevant domestic laws in our business affairs".
Controversy over using tobacco leaves near FukushimaEdit
There has been a controversy online about the spread of rumors that Mild Seven is manufacturing tobacco leaves near the Fukushima nuclear plant accident in Japan. Some have suggested that Mild Seven changed its name to Mevius in order to avoid such suspicion. However, the controversy was overcome by JTI Korea 's official statement that "Mevius does not use Japanese tobacco at all"
Japan Tobacco was, through Mild Seven, the title sponsor of the Benetton Formula One team beginning with the 1994 Formula One season. This association continued after Benetton was acquired by Renault. It was to remain with Renault F1 until the end of the 2009 Formula One season, but due to European Tobacco Regulations, the company had to end their association with Renault at the end of the 2006 Formula One season and ING became their main sponsor from 2007 onwards.
At the end of the 1990s to early 2000s, Japanese tobacco companies were not allowed to advertise their products in China due to the still lingering tensions of World War II. So Japan Tobacco decided to hold an "Eco-challenge" style adventure race – sponsored by Mild Seven cigarettes. Thus was born the "Mild Seven Outdoor Quest". Dan Morris was the official photographer for this event from 1997-2001. This event took him to a number of beautiful spots in Western China including Dali City, Lijiang and [Guankou, Liuyang|Xijiang]] (home of the Chinese space program). Top athletes such as Team Eco-Internet, Mike Pigg and Paula Newby-Fraser would regularly compete in this event.
In 2001, Mild Seven was the official sponsor of the "Mild Seven Pool Challenge".
Mevius is mainly sold in Japan, but also was or still is sold in the United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, Poland, Belarus, Russia, Morocco, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Myanmar, South Korea and the United States.
|Mevius Original||¥ 490||20||June 1, 1977||10||0.8||All Japan|
|Mevius Box||¥ 490||20||October 1, 1993||10||0.8||All Japan|
|Mevius 100's Box||¥ 490||20||June 1, 2009||8||0.7||All Japan|
|Mevius Lights||¥ 490||20||July 1, 1985||8||0.7||All Japan|
|Mevius Light Box||¥ 490||20||October 3, 1994||8||0.7||All Japan|
|Mevius Super Light||¥ 490||20||July 1, 1989||6||0.5||All Japan|
|Mevius Super Light Box||¥ 490||20||June 2, 1994||6||0.5||All Japan|
|Mevius Super Light 100's Box||¥ 490||20||December 1, 2006||6||0.5||All Japan|
|Mevius Extra Light||¥ 490||20||August 3, 1998||3||0.3||All Japan|
|Mevius Extra Light Box||¥ 490||20||June 2, 1995||3||0.3||All Japan|
|Mevius Extra Light 100's Box||¥ 490||20||June 3, 1996||3||0.3||All Japan|
|Mevius One||¥ 490||20||March 3, 2003||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius One Box||¥ 490||20||December 1, 1999||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius One 100's Box||¥ 490||20||February 2, 1998||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius Gold 6||¥ 490||20||December 6, 2007||6||0.5||All Japan|
|Mevius Gold 6 100's||¥ 490||20||June 8, 2015||6||0.6||All Japan|
|Mevius Gold 3 100's||¥ 490||20||June 8, 2015||3||0.3||All Japan|
|Mevius Gold One 100's||¥ 490||20||January 17, 2011||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius Gold Impact One 100's||¥ 490||20||May 19, 2008||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius Gold Impact 6 100's Slim||¥ 490||20||January 16, 2012||6||0.6||All Japan|
|Mevius Gold Impact One 100's Slim||¥ 490||20||January 16, 2012||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Frozen 8||¥ 490||20||March 18, 2013||8||0.7||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Frozen 5||¥ 490||20||Feb. 1, 2013||5||0.5||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Frozen One||¥ 490||20||Feb. 1, 2013||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Frozen One 100's||¥ 490||20||Feb. 1, 2013||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Option Purple 8||¥ 490||20||May 13, 2013||8||0.7||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Option Purple 5||¥ 490||20||May 13, 2013||5||0.5||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Option Purple One 100's||¥ 490||20||May 13, 2013||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Option Yellow 8||¥ 490||20||Feb. 16, 2015||8||0.7||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Option Yellow 5||¥ 490||20||Feb. 16, 2015||5||0.5||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Option Yellow One 100's||¥ 490||20||Feb. 16, 2015||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Option Red 8||¥ 490||20||Aug. 26, 2016||8||0.6||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Option Red 5||¥ 490||20||Aug. 26, 2016||5||0.4||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Option Red One 100's||¥ 490||20||Aug. 26, 2016||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Option Purple 5 100's Slim||¥ 490||20||Apr. 21, 2017||5||0.5||All Japan|
|Mevius Premium Menthol Option Purple One 100's Slim||¥ 490||20||Apr. 21, 2017||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mild Seven 5||5||n/a||n/a||n/a||Coffee shops only|
|Mild Seven Select||20||October 1982||12||0.8||All Japan|
|Mild Seven Menthol||20||July 1985||10||0.8||All Japan|
|Mild Seven International||20||July 1, 1990||11||1.0||All Japan|
|Mild Seven Slim Light Menthol||20||n/a||6||0.4||In limited areas|
|Mild Seven Ice Blue Super Light Box||20||July 1, 1997||6||0.5||All Japan|
|Mild Seven Prime Box||20||July 1, 2004||10||0.7||Osaka|
|Mild Seven Prime Light Box||20||July 1, 2004||8||0.6||Fukuoka, Osaka|
|Mild Seven Super Light Eco Style||20||February 1, 2005||6||0.5||Mie|
|Mild Seven Black Menthol||5||n/a||n/a||n/a||Coffee shops only|
|Mild Seven Gold Lights||20||October 1982||12||0.8||All Japan|
|Mild Seven Ice Blast||20||July 1985||10||0.8||All Japan|
|Mild Seven Menthol Lights||20||July 1, 1990||11||1.0||All Japan|
|Mevius FK||20||May 1, 1988||10||0.8||All Japan|
|Mevius Special Light Box||20||July 1, 1990||9||0.7||All Japan|
|Mevius Impact Menthol Box||20||March 2012||5||0.4||All Japan|
|Mevius One Menthol Box||20||January 7, 2004||1||0.1||All Japan|
|Mevius Prime Menthol Light Box||20||March 1, 2004||6||0.4||All Japan|
|Mevius Prime Slim Three||20||July 1, 2005||3||0.2||Aichi|
|Mevius AQUA Menthol||20||?||6||0.5||All Japan|
|Mevius Option Richplus 10||20||May 20, 2016||10||0.8||All Japan|
|Mevius Option Richplus 6||20||May 20, 2016||6||0.5||All Japan|
|Mevius Option Richplus One 100's||20||May 20, 2016||1||0.1||All Japan|
In popular cultureEdit
Anime and mangaEdit
- In the anime Great Teacher Onizuka, Mild Seven are the cigarettes smoked by the protagonist Eikichi Onizuka.
- In the novel by the Japanese author Koushun Takami Battle Royale one of the protagonists, Shōgo Kawada, was smoking a cigarette brand called Wild Seven, an evident parody of Mild Seven.
- In the manga Cat's Eyes, the clumsy inspector Matthew (Toshio) is an avid smoker of Mild Seven, who unlike other brands (such as Suzuki which becomes Zusuki) appear with the true name.
- In the manga Tobacco chan, the main female cigarette is a anthropomorphic version of Mevius Lights.
- "JTI - Our product range - Cigarette Brands: Winston, Camel, Mild Seven, Silk Cut & LD". cms.jti.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Japan Tobacco Takes on Marlboro". Wall Street Journal. August 8, 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Cheap Mild Seven Cigarettes Online made under authority of JT International at Smokinf4Free.com!". Smokin4free.com. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Buy Mild Seven cigarettes. Cheap discount Mild Seven cigarettes at". 4cigarettes.net. Retrieved 2012-08-05.
- "Cheap Mild Seven Cigarettes Online made under authority of JT International at Smokinf4Free.com!". Smokin4free.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Buy Mild Seven cigarettes. Cheap discount Mild Seven cigarettes at 4Cigarettes.net". 4cigarettes.net. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "JT changes the "Mild Seven" brand name to "Mebius"". Jp.reuters.com. Retrieved 2012-08-08.
- "Mild Seven evolves to Mevius. With the new name and design, the brand is evolving, aiming to become the number one global premium brand". Jti.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Goodbye Friendly "Mild Seven" Cigarettes; Hello "Mevius"! : Japan Subculture Research Center". Japansubculture.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Japan Tobacco's 'Mevius' Brand to Replace Mild Seven - CigarettesReporter.com - Your cigarettes guide". Cigarettesreporter.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Japan Tobacco announces rebranding of Mild Seven to Mevius cigarettes". Japandailypress.com. 9 August 2012. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- Yi, Whan-woo (March 20, 2013). "JTI renames Mild Seven as Mevius". The Korea Times. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Mild Seven evolves to Mevius With the new name and design, the brand is evolving, aiming to become the number one global premium brand" (PDF). Japan Tobacco. 2012-08-08. Retrieved 2012-08-09.
- "Mild Seven morphs to Mevius in Korea". Tobaccoreporter.com. 21 March 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "北朝鮮産の偽造日本たばこが初めて摘発". Japanese.donga.com. 16 May 2006. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "'Fake Cigarettes' Japan Investigation on North Korean Authorities". Dailynk.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Japan Tobacco recalls Mild Seven cigarettes". Reuters.com. 19 December 2007. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "JTI Korea pays Instagram users for cigarette postings". Koreatimes.co.kr. 28 September 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "빼빼로 방사능 논란에 이어 '일본산 잎담배'도 방사능 공방". 이투데이 (in Korean). 2013-11-11. Retrieved 2018-03-17.
- Garcia, Àlex (4 August 2014). "Los coches de competición más bellos de la historia: Benetton". Motorpasion.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Renault and tobacco". GPUpdate.net. 2005-02-05. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- "Mild Seven Renault F1 Team - ChicaneF1.com". Chicanef1.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Renault and tobacco". GPUpdate.net. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Japan Tobacco Inc. "Mild Seven Outdoor Quest..." - Dan Morris Photography & Video - Commercial, Product, Editorial, Wedding and Adventure Photography & Video". Danmorris.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Duathlon.com – All About Duathlon – Mild Seven Outdoor Quest". duathlon.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- Michael McComb (4 October 2014). "Mild Seven Outdoor Quest - Lijiang, China". YouTube. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Mild Seven Outdoor Quest End Montage (1998) 2m39s". Vimeo. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Mild Seven Pool Challenge - 2001 (Malaysian Advertisement)". YouTube. 12 March 2016. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Mild Seven 1987". YouTube. 4 November 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Mild Seven 1985". YouTube. 9 November 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Mild Seven Cigarettes commercial 1985 - TVB Pearl". YouTube. 23 November 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "[經典廣告] 1990年 - Mild Seven 萬事發香煙 (特醇萬事發) (Oh Freedom)". YouTube. 5 January 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "[經典廣告] 1987年 - Mild Seven 萬事發香煙". YouTube. 13 September 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Mild Seven , Japan Tobacco commercial". YouTube. 15 October 2015. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Super Slim Mild Seven Cigarettes for Japanese Market - Smokers News". Smokernewsworld.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "wholesale EL light box - Mild Seven-buy discount EL light box - Mild Seven made in China-CTO12392". Chinatraderonline.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- [dead link]
- "Cigarettes". Pinterest. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Mevius presents "7th Heaven" (76Beat 7th Anniversary) @HYPNOTIZED BALI". Ravelex.net. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "NO.1 AD PORTAL - www.tvcf.co.kr". Tvcf.co.kr. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Mobius (Mevius) Final Fantasy". Bluegartr.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "NO.1 AD PORTAL - www.tvcf.co.kr". Tvcf.co.kr. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "BusBore11's Favorite Flickr photos - Picssr". picssr.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "clarkson_lee's most interesting Flickr photos - Picssr". Picssr.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "BrandMild Seven - Cigarettes Pedia". Cigarettespedia.com. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Mild Seven". Zigsam.at. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Mevius". Zigsam.at. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Brands". Cigarety.by. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Brands". Cigarety.by. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "メビウスファミリー" [Mevius family]. Japan Tobacco (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-12-27.
- Assunta, M., Chapman, S., "A 'clean cigarette' for a clean nation: a case study of Salem Pianissimo in Japan", Tobacco Control 2004;13:ii58-ii62. This research paper has comparative information on the Mild Seven product.