Mike Davies (architect)
Mike Davies CBE, RIBA, FRSA, FRGS, FICPD (born 25 January 1942) is a British architect. He was a founding partner of the Richard Rogers Partnership and a senior partner of the firm's current incarnation, Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners.
25 January 1942 |
|Alma mater||Architectural Association School of Architecture, UCLA, Northern Polytechnic|
|Practice||Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners|
|Buildings||Centre Georges Pompidou
Lloyd's building (Grade I)
London Heathrow terminal 5
Early life and educationEdit
Mike Davies was born in England in 1942. His father was a geographer, and he travelled extensively with him as a child. He was educated at Highgate School, the Northern Polytechnic and the Architectural Association School of Architecture in London, before graduating with a master's degree in urban design from UCLA in 1970.
Mike Davies started his career at Airstructures Design in London while studying at the Architectural Association. Following his master's degree at UCLA he co-founded Chrysalis Architects in the USA, a firm specialising in lightweight structures. He joined the partnership between Richard Rogers and Renzo Piano in 1971, shortly after they won the commission to design the Pompidou Centre in Paris, and later went on to become one of the founding directors of the Richard Rogers Partnership in 1977. He has worked with the firm ever since.
Rogers Stirk Harbour reorganised at the end of 2015 and Davies stepped down from his role as a partner in the company. He was to continue working for them in a part-time capacity.
- "Mike Davies biography". Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Mike Davies CV" (PDF). Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Anna Winston (25 January 2012). "Mike Davies turns 70". Building Design. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Tim Walker (19 November 2011). "Any colour as long as it's red". The Independent. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Hannah Baldock (26 July 1999). "He built the dome. Fortunately he didn't choose the colour". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Richard Waite (19 April 2010). "Top French honour for Pompidou architect Mike Davies". Architects Journal. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- Laura Mark (17 November 2015). "Davies to step down as RSHP announces new partners". The Architects' Journal. Retrieved 16 March 2016.