12 July 2007 – June 2010
|Member of the Flemish Parliament|
|Assumed office |
3 October 2004
|Member of the European Parliament|
7 August 1999 – 7 August 2004
|Born||5 April 1943|
|Political party||Christen-Democratisch en Vlaams|
|Committees||President and Chair of AWEPA|
In 1988, Smet became the president of the European Centre for Workers' Questions, a position which she held till 1995.
Career in national politicsEdit
Smet was the founder (1973) and first president (until 1982) of the Christian People's Party political women's organisation, Vrouw en Maatschappij (Woman and Society).
She was elected to the Belgian Chamber of People's Representatives in 1978. In 1985 she became State Secretary of Environmental Affairs, and negotiated an Equal Opportunities portfolio. While Smet's competencies cover all aspects of social emancipation, she focused on violence against women, women's economic position and their participation in decision-making. When Miet Smet became Minister of Labour and Employment in 1991, she kept the Equal Opportunities portfolio.
Member of the European ParliamentEdit
When she was offered first place in the CD&V list for the European elections in 1999 instead of Wilfried Martens, Martens, at the instigation of then-wife Ilse Schouteden, refused to run at all.
Miet Smet was a Member of the European Parliament from 1999 to 2004.
On 27 September 2008, Miet married fellow CD&V politician and former Belgian Prime Minister Wilfried Martens. After the death of Martens' first wife, Lieve Verschroeven, the marriage was confirmed in the Catholic Church on 27 April 2013.
- Miet en Manschappij in Johan Anthierens, Het Belgische domdenken, p. 27
- Kris Deschouwer; M. Theo Jans (2007). Politics Beyond the State: Actors and Policies in Complex Institutional Settings. Asp / Vubpress / Upa. p. 225. ISBN 978-90-5487-436-2.
- "Martens refuses to run". www.encyclopedia.com. 1 May 1999.
- Bates, Stephen (7 March 1999). "Love tangle is final undoing of former Belgian PM". The Guardian.
- "Belgische Senaat" (in Dutch). Belgian Senate. Retrieved 10 June 2009.
- "AWEPA Executive Committee".
- Oud-ministers Martens en Smet vandaag getrouwd, De Morgen, 27 September 2008
- Academic Council Wilfried Martens Centre for European Studies.
- "Miet Smet". www.senate.be.
Media related to Miet Smet at Wikimedia Commons