Mid-Western Junior Hockey League
The Mid-Western Junior Hockey League (MWJHL) was a junior ice hockey league in Ontario, Canada, sanctioned by the Ontario Hockey Association from 1973 until 2007. In 2007, the league became a division of the newly formed Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League along with the Western Ontario Hockey League and Golden Horseshoe Junior Hockey League.
|OHA Junior "B"|
|Ontario Hockey Association|
- Southwestern Junior "B" Hockey League 1973 - 1974
- Waterloo-Wellington Junior "B" Hockey League 1974 - 1977
- Mid-Western Junior "B" Hockey League 1977 - 2007
The Mid-Western "B" was known as the Waterloo-Wellington Junior "B" Hockey League until 1977 when it donned its current name. Before 1974, the league was known as the Southwestern Junior "B" Hockey League for one season. The league was founded in 1973, taking aboard Kitchener Ranger Bs, Waterloo Siskins from the Western Jr. B league, and expansion teams the Caledonia Corvairs and Brantford Diamond Kings. A year later the Stratford Warriors joined the Waterloo-Wellington league, along with the Preston Raiders, Hespeler Shamrocks and Elmira Sugar Kings.
As there is little information about the league pre-1977, it is easy to say that the Mid-Western "B" was easily dominated by the Stratford Cullitons and the Waterloo Siskins for the first fourteen years of its current existence. Stratford won 8 championships in the league's early years, with Waterloo close behind with 6, but all other charter members were left without glory until the Kitchener Dutchmen won their first championship in 1992. Since then, the Cullitons have won 5 league championships and the Siskins have won only once, making way for other teams like the Elmira Sugar Kings, the Dutchmen, and the Cambridge Winterhawks.
For information on the 2007-08 season, please see: Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League.
These are the teams that were in the league during its final independent season (2006-07).
Other former membersEdit
Cherrey Cup Playoff ChampionsEdit
Taken from league 25th Anniversary Program.
- Best record: 1985-86 Stratford Cullitons (36-3-1)
- Worst record: 1997-98 Ohsweken Golden Eagles (0-47-1)
- Largest margin of victory: Waterloo Siskins 23 - Listowel Cyclones 3 on December 11, 1983
- Most goals, one season: Jason Mervyn (79) -- 1991-92 Stratford Cullitons
- Most assists, one season: Dan Haylow (98) -- 1989-90 Owen Sound Greys
- Most points, one season: Erik Anderson (145) -- 1996-97 Stratford Cullitons
- Most goals, career: Ron White (163) -- 143 games with the Stratford Cullitons
- Most assists, career: Jamie Hartnett (212) -- 188 games with Stratford Cullitons
- Most points, career: Jamie Hartnett (371) -- 188 games with Stratford Cullitons
- Most penalty minutes, season: Chris Brine (398) -- 1993-94 Cambridge Winterhawks
- Lowest goals against average, one season: Greg Dreveny (1.96) -- 1988-89 Waterloo Siskins
- Most shutouts, one season: Matt Barnes (6) -- 1993-94 Stratford Cullitons