Microprocessor Report is a newsletter covering the microprocessor industry. The publication is accessible only to paying subscribers. To avoid bias, it does not take advertisements.
|Publisher||The Linley Group|
|Based in||Mountain View, California|
The publication provides extensive analysis of new high-performance microprocessor chips. It also covers microprocessor design issues, microprocessor-based systems, memory and system logic chips, embedded processors, GPUs, DSPs, and intellectual property (IP) cores.
History and profileEdit
Microprocessor Report was first published in 1987 by Michael Slater. Original board members included Bruce Koball, George Morrow, and J H Wharton all of whom served for many years. Originally published monthly in print, since 2000 it has been published weekly online and monthly in print. Slater left MDR at the end of 1999.
Typical articles describe the internal design and feature set of microprocessors from vendors such as Intel, Broadcom, and Qualcomm. The articles usually compare the leading products and discuss their strengths and weaknesses. The annual "year in review" articles provide a broader look at the processor landscape. The publication gives annual awards to the best microprocessor products. Free summaries of these articles are available online.
Slater's company MicroDesign Resources (MDR), based in Sebastopol, California, originally published Microprocessor Report. MDR also hosted an annual conference, the Microprocessor Forum, and related events. In 1992, MDR was acquired by Ziff Davis. During the 1990s, Microprocessor Report was recognized four times as Best Newsletter by the Computer Press Association, which noted its "comprehensive and in-depth coverage."
In 1999, MDR was sold to Cahners Business Information (later Reed Business Information), where it became part of the analyst group In-Stat. During the 2000s, the staff of the newsletter declined. On May 6, 2010, Microprocessor Report was acquired by The Linley Group..
In addition to Slater, contributors have included Linley Gwennap, Keith Diefendorff, Peter Glaskowsky, Kevin Krewell, Tom Halfhill, and Max Baron. The current staff, led by editor-in-chief Gwennap, includes Halfhill and two other analysts.
Slater wrote an account of the early years for the newsletter's tenth anniversary.
- The Linley Group - The industry's leading experts in communications semiconductor markets. Mpronline.com. Retrieved on 2014-03-02.
- Looking Back on 10 Years of MPR A Personal History of MicroDesign Resources, by Michael Slater
- "The Linley Group Announces Winners of First Annual Analysts' Choice Awards". Press release. January 23, 2012.
- Winners, 14th Annual Computer Press Awards. Computerpress.org. Retrieved on 2014-03-02.
- "Mergers/Acquisitions". Circulation Management. June 1, 1999. Archived from the original on May 15, 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "The Linley Group Acquires Microprocessor Report". Press release. May 7, 2010.
- "Analysts". The Linley Group. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Michael Slater (August 25, 1997). "Looking Back on Ten Years of MPR: Personal History of MicroDesign Resources" (PDF). Microprocessor Report. Retrieved June 19, 2011.