Miche Braden (born 1953) is a jazz singer and theatrical performer known for her on-stage portrayals of Bessie Smith and Billie Holiday. Braden, who is originally from Detroit, originated the Bessie Smith role and has been performing it since 2000 in ‘The Devil’s Music: The Life and Blues of Bessie Smith’. Braden has been called "the biggest force of nature this side of Hurricane Harvey." She has performed in the musical nationwide, including an off-Broadway run in 2001 and again in 2011, as well as acting as the musical director and writing songs. She was nominated for a Helen Hayes award for her performance in 2018.
|Born||1953 (age 65–66)|
|Known for||Jazz singer|
Braden was born in Detroit, Michigan, and attended Mackenzie High School and Cooley High School. She later attended Michigan State University. While in Detroit, Braden was an artist in residence with the Detroit Council of the Arts. She also founded a women's jazz band called Straight Ahead. She describes herself as a protégé of Motown musicians Thomas "Beans" Bowles, Earl Van Dyke and jazz master composer Harold McKinney.
- Soul Dennis. "Miche Braden - (Meet me at) Hart Plaza 1983". souldennis.blogspot.com. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- Himes, Geoffrey (August 23, 2018). "A Bessie Smith 'dream project' makes its D.C. debut". Washington Post. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
- "Jazz in Homes lineup announces replacement for David Alan Grier in June". The Michigan Chronicle. 19 April 2017. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- McKnight, Steven (August 31, 2017). "The Devil's Music: The Life and Blues of Bessie Smith (review) - DC Theatre Scene". DC Theatre Scene. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
the biggest force of nature this side of Hurricane Harvey.
- Marks, Peter (August 29, 2017). "Review | Bessie Smith lives again in the moody blues of 'The Devil's Music'". Washington Post. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
- Simakis, Andrea (February 9, 2013). "Miche Braden channels blues legend Bessie Smith in 'The Devil's Music' at Cleveland Play House". cleveland.com. Retrieved November 15, 2018.
- Jones, Kenneth. "Miche Braden Is Bessie Smith in The Devil's Music, Opening Off-Broadway June 22". Playbill. Retrieved 16 November 2018.
- "Find HHA Nominees | Washington Theatre Guide | TheatreWashington | Helen Hayes Awards". theatrewashington.org:8443. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
Outstanding Performer - Visiting Production
- Braden, Miche. "Miche Braden on about.me". about.me. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
|This article about a jazz singer from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|