Michael A. Hoey
Michael A. Hoey (1934 – 17 August 2014) was a British author and film and television writer, director, and producer. He was the son of Dennis Hoey, who played Inspector Lestrade in Universal's Sherlock Holmes series.
Michael A. Hoey
London, England, UK
|Died||17 August 2014 (aged 79)|
San Clemente, California, USA
|Occupation||Writer, director, producer, Editor|
Film and televisionEdit
Hoey began in Hollywood working as an editor. He later was given the opportunity to write, direct and produce a number of feature films, including the teen comedy Palm Springs Weekend, the cult horror flick The Navy vs. the Night Monsters, and two movies starring Elvis Presley . Hoey transitioned to television where he wrote and directed a number of movies and shows, most notably a multi-year run on Fame.
Hoey extensively discussed his father Dennis Hoey's early life, career, marriages and death, as well as his own experiences working in film in his 2007 book Elvis, Sherlock and Me: How I Survived Growing Up in Hollywood. He also wrote about his experiences working on the TV series Fame in his 2010 book Inside Fame on Television: A Behind the Scenes History. In his third book Sherlock Holmes and the Fabulous Faces: The Universal Pictures Repertory Company (2011) he discussed the lives and careers of the many character actors and actresses who supported Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce in the 12 Holmes films made at Universal between 1942-1946.
He was a widower living in San Clemente, California, when he died on August 17, 2014. He was 79.
- "Michael A. Hoey Interview with Tom Weaver". Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Michael A. Hoey Brief Biography". Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Member Roster - ACE Film Editors". American Cinema Editors. Archived from the original on 10 September 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2013.
- Hoey, Michael A. (2007). Elvis, Sherlock and Me: How I Survived Growing Up in Hollywood. BearManor Media. ISBN 978-1593931223. OCLC 191870002.
- Hoey, Michael A. (2010). Inside Fame on Television: A Behind the Scenes History. McFarland & Co. ISBN 9780786455737. OCLC 607553819.
- Hoey, Michael A. (2011). Sherlock Holmes and the Fabulous Faces: The Universal Pictures Repertory Company. Bear Manor Media. ISBN 9781593936600. OCLC 765943934.
- Barnes, Mike (19 August 2014). "Michael A. Hoey, Producer, Director and Elvis Screenwriter, Dies at 79". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Palm Springs Weekend at the American Film Institute Catalog
- "Home- Michael A. Hoey". Archived from the original on 7 January 2014. Archive of Hoey's personal website.
- Michael A. Hoey on IMDb
|This article about a British film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|