This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
For many years the Mengal tribe has been seeking greater autonomy from the Pakistan government. The Pakistani government and the Mengals have been clashing for the past four decades, for various reasons. Large-scale military operations were carried out in the area of Khuzdar in the 1960s and 1970s. In 1973, the Pakistani government headed by the former Prime Minister Late Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, with support of the Shah of Iran, carried out one of the bloodiest military operations in the history of Balochistan against the Mengal and Marri tribes which lasted for 5 years, during which around 8,000 Baloch fighters and 6,000 army soldiers were killed.
- Sardar Ataullah Mengal is a former Chief Minister of Balochistan.
- Sardar Akhtar Mengal is a former Chief Minister of Balochistan.
- Mir Gul Khan Naseer was a renowned poet, historian and politician and the First Education Minister Of Balochistan.
- Mir Amir-ul-Mulk Mengal was Governor and Chief Justice of Balochistan.
- Justice Ghulam Mustafa Mengal is appointed as Chief Justice of Balochistan high court.
- Mr. Munir Ahmed Mengal Advocate of High Court born in 1980 in Quetta City his highness was a very famous and learned Advocate in the province of Balochistan, but unfortunately in the tragic incident of civil hospital suicide blast he martyred and Balochistan has lost such great person.
- Ex Senator Mir Muhammad Naseer Mengal served as acting Chief Minister of Balochistan and as Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Resources.
- Mir Nooruddin Mengal was a prominent politician of Balochistan. He was assassinated on 13 October 2010.
- Mir Lawang Khan Mengal was a politician and tribal leader.
- Balochistan tribes threaten Pakistan's gas riches Asia Times, Jul 25, 2002 Retrieved 25 November 2008
- Explosive mix in Pakistan's gas province BBC News 4 February 2005. Retrieved 25 November 2008
- A quick death The Economist Aug 31st 2006. Retrieved 25 November 2008
- A Call to Resistance: The Khan of Kalat Gathers the Tribes Brooklynrail.org Retrieved 25 November 2008
- Balochistan Militancy - An Insider's View Archived 2008-07-23 at the Wayback Machine. Rafi Bhatti January 17, 2006. Retrieved 25 November 2008
- Nothing but provincial autonomy, The DAWN Group of Newspapers, archived from the original on 2008-08-11, retrieved 2009-03-25
- Taking on the State: Frontline March 09, 2007, Hindunet, archived from the original on 2007-10-20, retrieved 2008-11-25
- Justice Ghulam Mustafa Mengal was appointed as Chief Justice of Balochistan high court. Press briefing by the UN offices for Pakistan and Afghanistan, UN News Center, retrieved 2009-03-25
- Senators: Mir Muhammad Naseer Mengal, Pakistan Senate, archived from the original on 2007-12-09, retrieved 2009-03-26
- http://news.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/the-newspaper/front-page/bnpm-leader-shot-dead-in-kalat-400[permanent dead link]
- Mir Lawang Khan, National Balochmedia Network, retrieved 2010-04-09[permanent dead link]