Men in Black: The Album
Men in Black: The Album is the soundtrack to the film Men in Black. It was released on July 1, 1997, distributed by Columbia Records and featured production from some of music's top producers, such as Poke & Tone, Jermaine Dupri and The Ummah.
|Men in Black: The Album|
|Soundtrack album by |
|Released||July 1, 1997|
|Singles from Men in Black: The Album|
The album was a huge success, spending two consecutive weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, as well as peaking at No. 2 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums and No. 3 on the Canadian Albums Chart. The RIAA certified the album 3× Platinum for salesshipments of over 3,000,000 copies in the United States.
Four singles were released from the album, Will Smith's "Men in Black" and "Just Cruisin'", Nas's "Escobar '97" and Jermaine Dupri and Snoop Dogg's "We Just Wanna Party with You". Except for the title song and the two Danny Elfman cues, none of the tracks on the album are in the film.
|1.||"Men in Black" (Will Smith)||Smith, Nasir Jones, Patrice Rushen, Terry McFadden & Fred Washington||Poke and Tone||3:46|
|2.||"We Just Wanna Party with You" (Snoop Dogg featuring Jermaine Dupri)||Jermaine Dupri, Robert Bell, Claydes Smith, Calvin Broadus, James Taylor, George Brown, Ronald Bell, Robert Mickens, Eumir Deodato, Richard Westfield, Otha Nash, Larry Gittens, Dennis Thomas||Dupri||4:32|
|3.||"I'm Feeling' You" (Ginuwine)||Elgin "Ginuwine" Lumpkin & -Jonathan "Mookie" Morant||Mookie||4:40|
|4.||"Dah Dee Dah (Sexy Thing)" (Alicia Keys)||Alicia Keys, Taneisha Smith & Reese Johnson||Johnson||4:12|
|5.||"Just Cruisin'" (Will Smith)||Smith, Nasir "Nas" Jones & Kenneth Stover||Poke and Tone||3:59|
|6.||"The 'Notic" (The Roots featuring D'Angelo)||Tariq Collins, Amtir "Questlove" Thompson, James Poyser, Larry Dunn, Maurice White & Philip Bailey||Scott Storch (The Roots), Poyser & Kelo||5:20|
|7.||"Make You Happy" (Trey Lorenz)||Mariah Carey, Lorenz, Cory Rooney||Carey & Rooney||4:06|
|8.||"Escobar '97" (Nas)||Jones, Samuel Barnes, Jean-Claude Olivier, Jerry Ragovoy & Aaron Schroeder||Poke and Tone||3:32|
|9.||"Erotik City" (Emoja)||T. Footman, E. Taylor & T. Wimbley||Deconzo Smith & Jerome Malcolm||4:34|
|10.||"Same Ol' Thing" (A Tribe Called Quest)||Kamaal "Q-Tip" Fareed, Ali Shaheed Muhammad & Malik "Phife Dawg" Taylor||The Ummah||4:27|
|11.||"Killing Time" (Destiny's Child)||Dwayne Wiggins & Taura Stinson||Wiggins||5:08|
|12.||"Waiting For Love" (3T)||John Howcott, Emanuel Officer & Donald Parks||Craig Burbidge||3:47|
|13.||"Chanel No. Fever" (De La Soul)||Kelvin "Posdnuos" Mercer, David "Dave" Jolicoeur & Vincent "Maseo" Mason||De La Soul||3:24|
|14.||"Some Cow Fonque (More Tea, Vicar?)" (Buckshot LeFonque)||Branford Marsalis||Marsalis||5:10|
|15.||"M.I.B. Main Theme" (Danny Elfman)||Elfman||2:58|
|16.||"M.I.B. Closing Theme" (Danny Elfman)||Elfman||2:38|
- "Men in Black" features a sample from "Forget Me Nots" by Patrice Rushen written by Patrice Rushen, Terry McFadden and Fred Washington
- "We Just Wanna Party with You" contains portions of "Get Down On It" by Kool & the Gang written by Robert Bell, James Taylor, George Brown, Ronald Bell, Claydes Smith, Robert Mickens and E. Deodato
- "Just Cruisin'" contains a sample of "I'm Back For More" by Al Johnson written by Kenneth Stover
- "The 'Notic" contains replayed elements of "Shining Star" by Earth, Wind & Fire written by Larry Dunn, Maurice White and Philip Bailey
- "Escobar '97" contains a sample of "I'll Move You No Mountain" by The Love Unlimited Orchestra written by Jerry Ragovoy and Aaron Schroeder
- "Same Ol' Thing" contains a sample of "Miles Beyond" by The Mahavishnu Orchestra written by J. McLaughlin
Men In Black: The ScoreEdit
- M.I.B. Main Theme (2:58)
- D's Memories/Chase (3:57)
- Edgar's Truck/A New Man (2:58)
- Imports/Quiet Moment (2:22)
- J Contemplates (1:18)
- Headquarters (1:13)
- The Suit (1:28)
- Morgue Time (:49)
- Petit Mort (1:42)
- K Reminisces (:48)
- Orion's Belt/Cat Stinger (2:18)
- Noisy Cricket/Impending Trouble (2:08)
- Sexy Morgue Babe/Icon (5:41)
- Take Off/Crash (7:20)
- Finale (3:02)
- M.I.B. Closing Theme (2:36)
Certifications and salesEdit
|Canada (Music Canada)||3× Platinum||300,000^|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Gold||25,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||100,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum||3,060,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 1997 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Canadian album certifications – Various Artists – Men In Black - Original Motion picture Soundtrack". Music Canada. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Soundtrack; 'Men In Black')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien. Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "British album certifications – Original Soundtrack – Men In Black - Ost". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 27 March 2019. Select albums in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Type Men In Black - Ost in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- Basham, David (7 February 2002). "Got Charts?". Mtv. Retrieved 9 July 2019.
- "American album certifications – Soundtrack – Men In Black". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.
- "Right On Track". Billboard. 28 March 1998. p. 73. Retrieved 27 March 2019.