Mela (1980 film)
Mela (transl. Fair) is a 1980 Malayalam-language Indian film directed by K. G. George, starring Raghu, Anjali Naidu, and Mammootty. This was the first film in which Mammootty played a notable supporting role. It is noted for starring the shortest actor (Raghu) as the protagonist and in a full-length character.
|Directed by||K. G. George|
|Written by||Sreedharan Champad|
K. G. George
|Screenplay by||K. G. George|
|Music by||M. B. Sreenivasan|
|Distributed by||Visal Movies|
The protagonist, working as a clown in a circus in the town, comes to visit his village. He is looking for a bride. The heroine, a tall lady, gets charmed by the wealthiness (compared to the other citizens of the village) of the protagonist even though he is a dwarf. She assents to marriage. Married, they go to the town to join the circus camp.
Things come to a different world when they reach the circus. Here the clown is a very insignificant figure. His wife sees the difference very quick. She soon gets attracted to a heroic figure in the circus camp—motorcycle stuntsman Vijayan (Mammootty). They show the signs of moving into an affair. Some drama follows and the protagonist, the clown, hands over his wife to the bike jumper and commits suicide.
The film was shot at Rayman circus at Ernakulam.
- Raghu as Govindan Kutty, a circus clown, the protagonist. 
- Anjali Naidu as Sharada, the wife of the protagonist.
- Mammootty as Vijayan, a bike jumper in the circus
- Iringal Narayani as the mother of protagonist (Raghu)
- K. G. Pinarayi
- Bhaskara Kurup
- Mohan Elias (Sumesh)
- Sreenivasan as Balan
- Sharaff as Ramesh – Circus Manager
- Bhaskara Kurup
|1||"Jwaalaamukhi" (Bit) (from the film Moham Enna Pakshi)||P. Susheela||O. N. V. Kurup|
|2||"Manassoru Maanthrikakkuthirayaay"||K. J. Yesudas||Mullanezhi|
|3||"Neelakkuda Choodi Maanam"||Selma George||Mullanezhi|
|4||"Shilpakalaa" (Bit) (from the film Moham Enna Pakshi)||K. J. Yesudas||O. N. V. Kurup|
- "Mela". popcorn.oneindia.in. 14 July 2012. Archived from the original on 14 July 202.
- "Undapakru, shortest actor". MSN India. Archived from the original on 6 February 2008.
- "Undapakru, shortest actor". Yahoo! Movies News. Archived from the original on 5 July 2008.
- "Actor 'Mela' Raghu passes away at 60". New Indian Express.