|Medal “Brotherhood in Arms" of the NPA of the GDR|
|Type||Three class medal|
|Awarded for||Merit in strengthening the brotherhood of arms|
|Presented by||East Germany|
|Status||No longer awarded|
|First awarded||17 February 1966|
Day of establishment: 17 February 1966.
The medal was granted in three classes:
The medal could be presented for strengthening of the co-operation and brotherhood in arms to the armed forces of the Warsaw Pact. It was presented to:
- Soldiers and civil employees of the National People’s Army (Army, Navy or Air Force/Air Defense Force)
- Members of the Stasi
- Members of the armed forces of other Warsaw Pact countries
- Individuals of friendly socialist countries
It was presented to:
The award was presented in the name of the Minister of National Defense or Minister of State Security usually on the March 1, or October 7.
Document / Cash award: Each medal was accompanied by a document/certificate and a specific cash award.
The medal is suspended from a five sided cloth ribbon which is 48 mm (1.9 in) at the widest point. The medal is 35 mm (1.4 in) in diameter and is silvered and/or gilded bronze (gold medal), or bronze depending on the grade of the medal.
The ribbon bar is 24 mm (just under 1 inch) wide, rectangular and corresponds with the medal ribbon.
The medal was awarded with a certificate and was worn on the left upper chest. Uniform regulations specify when the medal or ribbon bar was worn. Wear of this medal on the ribbon bar was mandatory.
The reverse of the medal, used from 1966 until 1990, features a ring around the State Seal in the GDR flag.
- Taschenlexikon Orden und Medaillen Staatliche Auszeichnungen der DDR, VEB Bibliographisches Institute, Leipzig, 1983
- Standberg, John E., Auszeichnungen der Nationalen Volksarmee Part II, Die Nationale Volksarmee Issue No 11, Spring 1996
- Pickard, Ralph, Stasi Decorations and Memorabilia; A Collector's Guide, Frontline Historical Publishing, Lorton, VA, 2007