Mechka Island (Bulgarian: остров Мечка, romanized: ostrov Mechka, IPA: [ˈɔstrof ˈmɛt͡ʃkɐ]) is the mostly ice-covered island extending 875 m in southwest–northeast direction and 350 m in south–north direction in the Dannebrog Islands group of Wilhelm Archipelago in the Antarctic Peninsula region. Its surface area is 15.9 ha.
|Area||15.9 ha (39 acres)|
|Length||875 m (2871 ft)|
|Width||350 m (1150 ft)|
|Administered under the Antarctic Treaty System|
Mechka Island is located at Coordinates: , which is 4.96 km north-northwest of Booth Island, 3.12 km northeast of Raketa Island, 50 m south of Mishka Island, and 5.6 km southwest of Kril Island in the Wauwermans Islands group. British mapping in 2001.
- British Admiralty Nautical Chart 446 Anvers Island to Renaud Island. Scale 1:150000. Admiralty, UK Hydrographic Office, 2001
- Brabant Island to Argentine Islands. Scale 1:250000 topographic map. British Antarctic Survey, 2008
- Antarctic Digital Database (ADD). Scale 1:250000 topographic map of Antarctica. Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR). Since 1993, regularly upgraded and updated
- Mechka Island. SCAR Composite Gazetteer of Antarctica
- Mechka Island. Adjusted Copernix satellite image
This article includes information from the Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria which is used with permission.