McKendree Township, Vermilion County, Illinois
McKendree Township is a township in Vermilion County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 807 and it contained 344 housing units. Forest Glen Preserve is located in this township.
Location in Vermilion County
|• Total||29.37 sq mi (76.1 km2)|
|• Land||29.25 sq mi (75.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.12 sq mi (0.3 km2) 0.41%|
|Elevation||673 ft (205 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||27.6/sq mi (10.7/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
This area was originally part of Georgetown Township, but growing dissatisfaction with a lack of development in that portion of the township, compared with the Georgetown and Westville areas, led to a petition for creation of a new township in 1912. The name came from McKendree Methodist Church.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 29.37 square miles (76.1 km2), of which 29.25 square miles (75.8 km2) (or 99.59%) is land and 0.12 square miles (0.31 km2) (or 0.41%) is water. The stream of White Branch runs through this township.
- Danville Township (north)
- Highland Township, Vermillion County, Indiana (northeast)
- Eugene Township, Vermillion County, Indiana (southeast)
- Love Township (south)
- Georgetown Township (west)
The township contains eight cemeteries: Bock, Elwood Church, Locket, Lorance, McKendree, Michael, Niccum and North Fork.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Stapp, Katherine; W. I. Bowman (1968). History Under Our Feet: The Story of Vermilion County, Illinois. Danville, Illinois: Interstate Printers and Publishers, Inc. p. 27.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.