According to historian Lorans Tanatar Baruh, the synagogue was built in the Byzantine era and was called Mayor because it was the largest in the neighborhood. Another historian claims the synagogue was built 300 to 500 years ago by Jews from Majorca. (According to historian Jak Deleon, in the 1950s there was a Mayorka Synagogue in Hasköy.)
- Cited in Jak Deleon. Ancient Districts on the Golden Horn: Balat, Hasköy, Fener, Ayvansaray. Istanbul, n.d. Page 68.
- Ahsen Utku. "Contemporary artist Serge Spitzer creates art out of ruins. Today's Zaman, 19 September 2009. URL: http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/news-187177-110-contemporary-artist-serge-spitzer-creates-art-out-of-ruins.html Retrieved 5 October 2009.
- Deleon, page 68.
- Müge Akgün. "City gains new art center with 'Molecular Istanbul.'" Hürriyet Daily News & Economic Review, 8 September 2009. URL: http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=city-gains-a-new-art-center-with-molecular-istanbul-2009-09-08 Retrieved 3 October 2009.
- Serge Spitzer: Molecular Istanbul, Mayor Synagogue, Istanbul. VernissageTV, 28 September 2009. Video includes many interior and exterior views of the structure.
-  New Publication Serge Spitzer / Molecular (ISTANBUL)
-  Internet site