He received his BS (physics) 1963, Pennsylvania State University, his MS (physics) 1965, University of Wisconsin–Madison, and his Ph.D. (physics) 1968, University of Wisconsin–Madison.
Awards and honors edit
- His works were cited more than 11,000 times.
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering in 2001.
- Elected to Fellowship in the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in 1999.
- Elected a member of the Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher - Leopoldina (the German National Academy of Science) in 1999.
- Outstanding Science Alumnus Award, Pennsylvania State University, 1996.
- Davisson-Germer Prize in Atomic or Surface Physics, American Physical Society, 1995.
- Welch Award, AVS, 1991.
- "Max G. Lagally". directory.engr.wisc.edu. University of Wisconsin-Madison.