Matzah pizza (sometimes spelled matzoh pizza) is a type of pizza made by baking a piece of matzo that has been topped with sauce and cheese. Because Jews are forbidden from eating leavened bread during Passover, some individuals use matzo as a substitute for traditional pizza crusts during the holiday.
During Passover, Jews are forbidden from eating bread that is made with yeast or leavening agents. Given these restrictions, some individuals will make pizza by substituting matzo for traditional pizza crust. However, some food manufacturers now supply traditional pizza crusts that are made with kosher-for-Passover ingredients, and some recipes suggest substituting chopped matzo for yeast dough. During Passover, some restaurants will also feature matzo pizza on their menus to substitute for traditional pizza.
Matzah pizza is prepared by covering a piece of matzo with sauce and melted cheese. It can be eaten as is, or baked first. In the latter case, the matzo is first softened in water; alternately, the sauce ingredients are used to soften the matzo. Other traditional pizza toppings may be used in addition to cheese. For example, chef Spike Mendelsohn suggests topping matzah pizza with figs and asparagus, peppers and feta cheese, or cherry tomatoes, olives, and rosemary, while Martha Stewart recommends placing a fried egg on top of a matzah pizza. Other recipes suggest using crushed tomatoes instead of tomato sauce, and some recipes suggest substituting hummus for sauce. Some recipes recommend baking the matzo and toppings on a baking sheet, either in a conventional oven or in a microwave oven, while other recipes recommend baking matzah pizza in a casserole pan, so that the dish resembles a layered lasagna. Vegan recipes suggest utilizing vegan cheese or omitting the cheese entirely.
- Schmidt, Catherine (August 3, 1986). "If You're Thinking of Living In; Massapequa". The New York Times. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- Atkinson, Kenneth (2009). Judaism. Infobase Publishing. p. 93. ISBN 1438106440.
- Deutsch, Jonathan; Saks, Rachel D. (2008). Jewish American Food Culture. ABC-CLIO. p. 98. ISBN 0313343209.
- Greenberg, Sidney; Roth, Pamela (1998). In Every Generation: A Treasury of Inspiration for Passover and the Seder. Jason Aronson. p. 271. ISBN 0765760312.
- Lesem, Jeanne (April 11, 1984). "Pizza, egg rolls can be kosher as Passover food, author says". Eugene Register-Guard. Eugene, Oregon. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Dwass, Emily (April 9, 2012). "Passover Pizza: Matzah Pizza from Fresh Brothers". L.A. Weekly. Los Angeles, California. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- Rodman, Elan (April 12, 2012). "The pharaohs of pizza: Manhattan Beach restaurant takes on matzah pizza". Jewish Journal. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- Leavitt, Irv (April 2, 2016). "Max and Benny's celebrates 30th anniversary". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- La Guardia, Anton (2003). War Without End: Israelis, Palestinians, and the Struggle for a Promised Land. Macmillan. p. 41. ISBN 031231633X.
- Morris, Stacey (20 April 2005). "Making the most of matzoh at Passover". Albany Times Union. pp. B1–B2. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Hulin, Belinda (2007). The Everything Pizza Cookbook: 300 Crowd-Pleasing Slices of Heaven. Everything Books. p. 187. ISBN 1605502588.
- Frum, Danielle Crittenden (April 10, 2015). "Eight Delicious Ways & Days with Matzah: Spring Pizza with Asparagus, Potatoes and Goat Cheese". The Huffington Post. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- Groner, Judyth; Wikler, Madeline (2014). All About Passover. Open Road Media. p. 32. ISBN 1480475890.
- Mendelsohn, Spike (March 31, 2009). "Matzah Pizza". Oprah.com. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- Stewart, Martha (April 2011). "Matzo Pizza". MarthaStewart.com. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- Homolka, Gina (March 27, 2012). "Skinny Passover Matzo Pizza". Skinnytaste.com. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Vegan recipe: Aubergine, hummus and avocado Matzo pizza". Rakusens.co.uk. November 6, 2015. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Winer, Rose (April 18, 2016). "5 quick, tasty and kosher ways to use leftover matzo". The Jewish Journal. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Hirsch, J.M. (March 20, 2002). "Matzo key to vegetarian Passover". Bangor Daily News. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Ganster, Kathleen (April 1, 2004). "Young chef enjoys entertaining at home". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "Rachael Ray's Matzo-Pizza Lasagna". ABC Good Morning America Recipes. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- "Vegan recipe: Kale and artichoke Matzo pizza". Rakusens.co.uk. November 11, 2015. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Harbrecht, Douglas (September 1, 1991). "But Will It Play in Matzo Pizza". Bloomberg. Retrieved April 6, 2016.