Matthew Wong (March 8, 1984 – October 2, 2019) was a Canadian painter.
|Died||October 2, 2019(aged 35)|
|Education||University of Michigan|
Wong was born in Toronto and raised in Hong Kong. He attended the University of Michigan and returned to Hong Kong after completing his degree in cultural anthropology. Wong experimented with photography, and in 2010, enrolled at the City University of Hong Kong School of Creative Media for a master of fine arts in photography. Later, he returned to Canada, settling in Edmonton. Wong tried drawing in 2012, and in 2014, started painting, specializing in landscapes. He was represented by Karma in New York City. He died by suicide at age 35.
Wong's work has been exhibited in both solo and group exhibitions since 2016. His work is included in public collections such as the Dallas Museum of Art, Aishti Foundation, and the Estée Lauder Collection.
Selected Solo ExhibitionsEdit
- Blue, Karma, New York
- Day by Night, Massimo De Carlo, Hong Kong
- Karma, New York
- Pulse of the Land, Hong Kong Visual Arts Centre, Hong Kong
Selected Group ExhibitionsEdit
- A Cloth Over a Birdcage, Château Shatto, Los Angeles
- Away in the Hill, GRIMM Gallery, New York
- Reading Painting, Treasure Town, New York, curated by Maya Strauss and Seth Becker
- Sky Above Clouds, Performance Ski, Aspen, Colorado
- Trance, Aishti Foundation, Beirut, curated by Albert Oehlen
- Monomania, George Gallery, New York, curated by Shaun Ellison and Paul Whiting
- Plastic Surgery, to look like you, Galerie Frank Elbaz, Dallas
- The Horizontal, Cheim and Read, New York
- Flemming Faloon, Office Baroque, Brussels
- Tom Friedman (+The Birthday Show), Gallery 1969, New York
- Outside, Karma, Amagansett, New York, curated by Matthew Higgs
Wong, Matthew, Matthew Wong; Blue. Karma, 2019.
Wong Matthew, Matthew Wong. Karma, 2018.
- Russeth, Andrew (October 6, 2019). "Matthew Wong, Whose Indelible Canvases Charted New Paths for Landscape Painting, Is Dead at 35". ARTNews. Retrieved October 7, 2019.
- "Matthew Wong (1984–2019)". ArtForum. 7 October 2019. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- Freeman, Nate (7 October 2019). "The Art World Remembers Matthew Wong, Self-Taught Painter of Vibrant Landscapes, Who Has Died at 35". Artnet News. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
- "Remembering Matthew Wong Through His Dreamy, Otherworldly Landscapes". ArtNews. 7 October 2019. Retrieved 7 October 2019.
|This Canadian painter article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|