Vice Admiral Mathew Quashie (23 March 1951 - 9 January 2020) is a Ghanaian naval officer and was the twenty-ninth Chief of Defence Staff of the Ghana Armed Forces. He also served as the Chief of Naval Staff of the Ghana Navy from 3 April 2009 to 28 March 2013.
|Born||23 March 1951|
|Died||9 January 2020 (aged 68)|
|Years of service||1970–January, 2016.|
|Battles/wars||Lebanon War (Nov 1986 to June 1987)|
Vice Admiral Quashie was born on 23 March 1951 in Accra. In 1970 he obtained his General Certificate of Education Ordinary Level Certificate after a five-year secondary school education at Mfantsipim School in Cape Coast. After Mfantsipim School, got admitted into the Ghana Secondary Technical School in Takoradi from 1970 to 1972. He was awarded his Advanced Level Certificate after completion.
Vice Admiral Quashie enlisted into the Ghana Military Academy in 1972. He went to the United Kingdom to continue his basic military officer training. He enrolled at the Britannia Royal Naval College and completed his training in 1974. He returned to Ghana and was commissioned Sub-Lieutenant into the Executive Branch of the Ghana Navy in July 1974.
Vice Admiral Quashie has served the Navy in various capacities including:
- Watch-Keeping Officer on the Ghana Navy Ships (GNS) Keta, Kromantse, Sahene and Achimota
- Executive Officer on GNS Elmina and Dzata
- Acting Executive Officer on GNS Kromantse.
- Aide-de-Camp to the Chief of the Naval Staff.
- Base Operations Officer, Naval Base Sekondi
- Staff Officer Communication and Intelligence
- Acting Training Officer, Naval Base Sekondi
- Senior Officer Afloat and Commanding Officer Naval Base Sekondi.
He served in the several senior capacities prior to his appointment as the Chief of Staff. They included:
- Director of Operations and Plans at the Naval Headquarters
- Directing Staff at both the Ghana Armed Forces Command College and Nigeria Command and Staff College
- Deputy Commandant Ghana Armed Forces Command and Staff College
- Director Resettlement at General Headquarters (2003) and Chief Staff Officer, Naval Headquarters
- Flag Officer Commanding (FOC) Eastern Naval Command
On 28 March 2013, President John Dramani Mahama, Commander in Chief of the Ghana Armed Forces, swore Vice Admiral Quashie into office as the Chief of the Defence Staff of the Ghana Armed Forces. He replaced Lt Gen. Peter Blay. Prior to his appointment, Vice Admiral Quarshie served as the Chief of Naval Staff. He handed over to Rear Admiral Geoffrey Mawuli Biekro.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matthew Quashie.|
- "Profile of Vice Admiral Mathew Quashie, Chief of Defence Staff". www.highstreetmail.com. Archived from the original on 15 December 2013. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- Past, CNS. "PAST CHIEF NAVY STAFFS". gafonline.mil.gh. Ghana Armed Forces. Archived from the original on 13 October 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- "Rear Admiral Matthew Quashie Profile". www.ghanaweb.com. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Profile of Rear Admiral Matthew Quashie". www.gaf.mil.gh. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "New CDS appointed and service commanders". graphic.com.gh. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Vice Admiral Mathew Quashie hands over office of CNS". www.gaf.mil.gh. Archived from the original on 2015-04-03. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "New CDS And Service Commanders Appointed". ghanareporters.com. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- "Former Chief of Defence Staff Quashie is dead". Ghanaweb. Ghana Web. 10 January 2020. Retrieved 26 January 2020.
Rear Admiral A. R. S. Nunoo
| Chief of Naval Staff
2009 – 2013
Rear Admiral Geoffrey Mawuli Biekro
Lieutenant General Peter Blay
| Chief of Defence Staff
2013 – 2015