Matt McGrath (born June 11, 1969) is an American actor.
|Occupation||Film, television actor|
He started performing on Broadway as a child. McGrath performed in Peter Pan and the original musical Working. He can be heard on the Original Cast Recording released in 2001, singing his solo Neat to Be a Newsboy.
As an adult, he played in A Streetcar Named Desire with Alec Baldwin and Jessica Lange as the Young Collector and then he portrayed the Emcee, originated by Joel Grey, in the Roundabout Theatre Company's production of Kander and Ebb's musical Cabaret. Off Broadway, Matt appeared as Jerry Springer in Jerry Springer the opera, The Black Rider in London, SF, Sydney & LA, The Legend of Georgia McBride (Lucille Lortel & LAOCC Awards), Hedwig and the Angry Inch, A Fair Country, The Collection, Fat Men in Skirts, The Old Boy, Amulets Against the Dragon Forces, and Dalton's Back (which received a Drama Desk nomination). In Regional theatre, Matt has appeared in The Rocky Horror Show (as Frank ‘N' Furter), Romance and Distant Fires (LA Weekly Award).
He won the 2016 Lucille Lortel Award for Best Featured Performance, as well as the 2017 Drama Critics Circle Award for his portrayal of Miss Tracy Mills in The Legend of Georgia McBride. In The New York Times review of the play, Charles Isherwood wrote, “There isn’t a trace of caricature in his portrayal of the sweetly maternal Tracy”.
McGrath's film appearances include roles in The Chaperone, Boys Don't Cry, The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy, The Impostors. Full Grown Men and The Notorious Bettie Page. On television, McGrath has appeared on Modern Family where he plays Simon (Mitchell’s arch nemesis from Law School) and on episodes of Pose, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Now and Again, New York Undercover and Cruel Doubt; he also had a role on the short-lived My Life and Times.
|Pump Up the Volume||Chris|
|1996||The Substance of Fire||Young Book Clerk|
|Colin Fitz Lives!||Paul|
|Boys Life 2||Junior (segment 4; "The Dadshuttle")|
|1998||The Impostors||Detective Marco|
|1999||Boys Don't Cry||Lonny|
|Story of a Bad Boy||Guy|
|2000||The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy||Howie|
|2001||The Anniversary Party||Jeffrey (uncredited)|
|2005||The Notorious Bettie Page||Nervous Man|
|2006||Full Grown Men||Alby Cutrera|
|1990||Appearances||Troy Danzig||(TV Movie)|
|1991||My Life and Times||Robert Miller||(TV Series), 3 episodes: "April 9, 2035", "Millennium" and "The Collapse of '98"|
|ABC Afterschool Specials||C.z.||(TV Series), 1 episode: "It's Only Rock & Roll"|
|1992||Cruel Doubt||Chris Pritchard||(TV Mini-Series), 2 episodes: "Episode #1.1" and "Episode #1.2"|
|1994||Winnetka Road||(Unnamed role)||(TV Series), 2 episodes: "Townies" and "The Real Wisconsin"|
|1995||Chicago Hope||Dr. Scott Callahan||(TV Series), 1 episode: "The Virus"|
|1997||The Member of the Wedding||Jarvis||(TV Movie)|
|1998||New York Undercover||Jonathan||(TV Series), 1 episode: "Sign o' the Times"|
|Frasier||Protester||(TV Series), 1 episode: "Sweet Dreams"|
|2000||Now and Again||Dr. Bing||(TV Series), 2 episodes: "The Bugmeister" and "The Bugmeister, Part Bee"|
|2006||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Simon Fife||(TV Series), 1 episode: "Masquerade"|
|2008||Little Britain USA||Various roles||(TV Series), 1 episode: "Episode #1.2"|
|2015||Modern Family||Simon||(TV Series), 2 episodes: "Closet? You'll Love It!" and "The More You Ignore Me"|
|2018||Pose||Mitchell||(TV Series), 1 episode: "Access"|
|2020||The Undoing||Joseph Hoffman||(TV Mini-Series), 2 episodes: "The Undoing" and "The Missing"|
He is openly gay.
- Soloski, Alexis (17 September 2015). "Matt McGrath Shines as a Nurturing Drag Queen in 'Georgia McBride' (Published 2015)". The New York Times. Retrieved 11 March 2021.
- Levy, Robert. "The Musical WORKING - CD Review of original cast recording". www.musicalschwartz.com. Retrieved 11 March 2021.
- Amulets Against the Dragon Forces Archived 2015-11-20 at the Wayback Machine, lortel.org, accessed November 19, 2015
- Rich, Frank (10 February 1989). "Review/Theater; Sloughing Off Scars Of a Bad Childhood (Published 1989)". The New York Times. Retrieved 14 March 2021.
- "Photo Flash: Matt McGrath & More in The Old Globe's ROCKY HORROR SHOW - First Promo Shots!". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 14 March 2021.
- Millward, Tom (January 21, 2020). "Matt McGrath joins the Broadway cast of Girl from the North Country". New York Theater Guide. Retrieved 11 March 2021.
- King, Anthony. "Matt McGrath returns with James Vasquez in Diversionary’s 'Next Fall'" Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine. GaySanDiego.com, 10 February 2012. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- Matt McGrath at IMDb
- Matt McGrath at the Internet Broadway Database
- Matt McGrath at the Internet Off-Broadway Database