Massacre (metal band)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Massacre (briefly known as Massacre X and Gods of Death) is an American death metal band. They were formed in 1984 by Allen West, Bill Andrews, Rick Rozz, and Terry Butler, and soon after vocalist Kam Lee joined. The band has reunited several times with varying line-ups, most recently in late 2016.
|Also known as|
|Origin||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Years active||1984–1987, 1989–1992, 1993–1996, 2007–2008, 2011–2014, 2016–present|
|Labels||Earache, Century Media|
|Associated acts||Death, Obituary, Six Feet Under|
|Past members||Former members|
Massacre were formed in 1984 by Allen West (guitar), Bill Andrews (drums), Mike Borders (bass) and soon joined by Kam Lee. They disbanded and re-united again several times. In 1987, Rozz, Andrews and Butler joined Death, but by 1991 the three later rejoined with Rick Rozz (guitar) and Massacre released their debut album From Beyond on Earache Records, followed by an EP a year later (featuring Cronos of Venom). After the release of the EP the band split up again. Rozz reformed the band in 1993 and released a new album Promise in 1996. That same year, Kam Lee left the band during post-production of Promise due to being dissatisfied with the songs and his performance. Kam Lee, Terry Butler and Steve Swanson along with Sam Williams and Curtis Beeson temporarily reunited as Massacre in 2006. Butler, Lee, Beeson & Williams then founded Denial Fiend with Blaine Cook replacing Lee and Rob Rampy replacing Beeson in 2008. In 2011, Butler and Rozz reunited for an anniversary tour of From Beyond beginning January 14 in Tampa, Florida.
Butler and Rozz reformed Massacre in late 2011, with Mike Mazzonetto on drums and Ed Webb on vocals, and subsequently played the 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise from Miami, Florida to Grand Cayman in January 2012. In March 2012, under the wing of lawyer Eric Greif - coincidentally Butler and Rozz's manager in Death - the band signed an international recording deal with Century Media Records, announcing a 7" release prior to their August 2012 appearance at the Wacken Festival in Germany and the release of their full-length album in early 2014.
On December 11, 2014 it was announced that bassist Terry Butler and vocalist Ed Webb left the band. As the result, Massacre disbanded.
Massacre reformed once more in December 2016 under the name Massacre X, in reference to it being the band's tenth lineup. However, original drummer Bill Andrews threatened to sue the band over the use of the name, leading to them rebranding themselves as Gods of Death, in reference to their significance in the development of death metal. The band eventually returned to using the original Massacre moniker in July 2019, with former bassist Michael Borders returning to the band.
On September 9, 2019, it was announced that Rick Rozz and Mike Mazzonetto have both quit the band according to founding member Kam Lee. The band announced a new lineup three months later and plans to release a new studio album in 2020.
- Kam Lee – vocals (1984–1996, 2006–2007, 2017–present)
- Michael Borders – bass (1984–1986, 2019–present)
- Taylor Nordberg – guitars (2019–present)
- Jeramie Kling – drums (2019–present)
- Bill Andrews – drums (1984–1993)
- Rick Rozz – guitars (1984–1987, 1989–1995, 2011–2014, 2017–2019)
- Allen West – guitars (1984–1986)
- Mark Brents – vocals (1984)
- J.P. Chartier – guitars (1984)
- Scott Blackwood – bass (1984)
- Rob Goodwin – guitars (1986–1987)
- Terry Butler – bass (1987, 1990–1993, 2006–2007, 2011–2014)
- Butch Gonzales – bass (1990–1991)
- Joe Cangelosi – drums (1990)
- Steve Swanson – guitars (1991–1992, 2006–2007)
- Pete Sison – bass (1994–1996)
- Syrus Peters – drums (1994–1996)
- Sam Williams – guitars (2007–2008)
- Curtis Beeson – drums (2007–2008)
- Dave Pybus – bass (2007)
- Mike Mazzonetto – drums (2011–2014, 2017–2019)
- Ed Webb – vocals (2011–2014)
- Michael Grim – bass (2017–2019)
- From Beyond (1991)
- Promise (1996)
- Back from Beyond (2014)
- Inhuman Condition (1992)
- Condemned to the Shadows (2012)
- Aggressive Tyrant (1986)
- Chamber of Ages (1986)
- The Second Coming (1990)
- Tyrants of Death (2006, Iron Pegasus)
- The Second Coming (2008, Hell's Headbangers)
- "RICK ROZZ And KAM LEE's New Band Changes Name From MASSACRE X To GODS OF DEATH". Blabbermouth. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- "BLABBERMOUTH.NET - MASSACRE To Play One-Off Show In Tampa Prior To European Tour". Roadrunnerrecords.com. Archived from the original on 2012-09-13. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "MASSACRE Disbands Following Split With Bassist TERRY BUTLER And Vocalist ED WEBB". Blabbermouth.net. December 11, 2014. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "MASSACRE Is Back! RICK ROZZ And KAM LEE Rejoin Forces". Blabbermouth.net. December 12, 2016. Retrieved December 26, 2019.
- "MASSACRE X Feat. RICK ROZZ, KAM LEE: Live Debut Set For Germany's PROTZEN OPEN AIR Festival". Blabbermouth.net. March 17, 2017. Retrieved December 26, 2019.
- "Reunited MASSACRE Signs With U.K.'s UNITED TALENT AGENCY". Blabbermouth.net. July 16, 2019. Retrieved July 16, 2019.
- "MASSACRE Announces New Lineup, Begins Work On Fourth Album". Blabbermouth.net. December 16, 2019. Retrieved December 16, 2019.