Masally District (Azerbaijani: Masallı rayonu) is one of the 66 districts of Azerbaijan. It is located in the south-east of the country and belongs to the Lankaran Economic Region. The district borders the districts of Lankaran, Lerik, Yardimli, Jalilabad, and Neftchala. Its capital and largest city is Masally. As of 2020, the district had a population of 227,700.
Map of Azerbaijan showing Masally District
|Established||8 August 1930|
|• Total||720 km2 (280 sq mi)|
|• Density||320/km2 (820/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (AZT)|
In the east, the district is washed by the Caspian Sea, and in the west it approaches Talysh Mountains, Burovar ridge. Height of the territory reaches 917 metres (3,009 ft). There are mineral and geothermal springs in Masally. Average temperature is 2.1 °C (35.8 °F) in January, and 24.6 °C (76.3 °F) in July. The amount of annual precipitation is 600–800 millimetres (24–31 in). Vilash is the largest river of the district. There are broad-leaved forests of Girkan type-chestnut-leaved oak, hornbeam, beech, Persian ironwood tree, Girkan boxwood, Caucasian persimmon, medlar and others in the mountainous part of the district. Total area of the district's forests equals 16,870 hectares (41,700 acres). There are 107 villages in Masally.
Masally district was established in 1930. Formerly, the territory of the district was part of Arkevan area of Lankaran District. Before that, the territory of the district belonged to ancient Manna and Atropatena states. It was included in Talish khanate in the middle of the 18th century.
The head of Masally District is chief executive. Chief executives:
- Safarov Azer Fattah oglu-till September 30, 2004
- Aliyev Ogtay Jalil oglu-from September 30, 2004 to September 29, 2006
- Agayev Gazanfar Arif oglu-since September 30, 2006
- Huseynov Rafil İsrafil oglu-since April 14, 2012
The center of the district is the city of Masally. The average population density is 159 people per km². Boradigah township, Badalan, Arkevan, Banbashi, Gizilagaj, Teze Alvadi, and Chakhirli villages are the other largest population aggregates.
The number of populations in Masally district was 221,5 thousand people and the density was 308/1 km2 for January 1, 2017. At the beginning of 2018, the total number of people was 223,8 thousand, of which 113,5 thousand of them were men and 110,3 thousand of them were women. The number of people who live in the urban areas of Masally district was 50,8 thousand, while 173,0 thousand people lived in rural areas.
|Total||including:||Urban places||including:||Rural places||including:|
The total area of the district is 72097 ha. 22783 ha (31,6%) of the territory belongs to the state. 16,663 hectares (41,180 acres) (73.1%) of this area is covered with forests, which Forest Agriculture department owns 15960 ha, and the rest 703 hectares (1,740 acres) is for the domestic economy. 440 hectares (1,100 acres) (1.9%) area is included to water fund and 4,609 hectares (11,390 acres) (20.02%) area belongs to the state reserve fund.
Municipality owns 18,738 hectares (46,300 acres) (26.0%) of the area. 560 hectares (1,400 acres) of this territory is for the perspective development of municipality bodies and 1393 ha of area belongs to the reserve fund of the municipality.
30,576 hectares (75,550 acres) (42.4%) of the area is private property. 26,911 hectares (66,500 acres) (88%) of the territory is privatized and 3,665 hectares (9,060 acres) (12%) belong to the local people.
2,0 million manats were granted to the executive of Masally District for the acceleration of the socio-economic development in the region by the decree of the President dated 15 March 2012.
Agriculture, construction, industry, transportation, and telecommunication are the cores of economy in Masally district.
|Total area of agricultural crops (ha)|
|Fruit and berry||443||471||483||492||507||537|
|Production of main agricultural products (ton)|
|Fruit and berry||2139||2527||2355||2339||2347||2343|
|Productivity of agricultural products (centner/ha)|
|Fruit and berry||61.5||69.9||60.4||58.9||56.5||52.9|
|Number of cattle|
|including cow and buffalo||34943||36308||36619||36488||36448||36495|
|Sheep and goats||75678||79912||83000||82451||84769||84942|
|Production of cattle products (ton)|
|Eggs (in thousand)||51578||52440||55200||55890||56264||56666|
|Wool (in physical weight)||98||99||99||99||99||99|
|Given into usage:|
|Main funds (thousand manats)||9898.0||30545.5||30428.8||15022.7||14360.7||46614.5|
|Houses, total area (thousand square meters)||18.5||16.4||20.3||20.3||24.9||21.0|
|of which private houses||13.9||16.4||20.3||20.2||24.9||21.0|
|Investments in main capital (thousand manat)||17948.0||24883.7||28287.9||65576.8||86206.7||111888.6|
|Number of construction companies||3||6||7||5||5||3|
In January–December 2015, there was 37366 thousand manats worth of goods and service production in the Masally industry. It is more 4,6 % more than the previous year. 85,1 percent of the total industrial production was goods and 14,9 percent was serviced.
In 2015, cargo transportation by automobiles was 2368 thousand ton. It is 113 thousand ton more than the previous year. Transportation of passengers was 13324 thousand persons, which is 813 thousand people more than the previous years. The total worth of transportation was 10832,4 thousand manats in 2015.
In 2015, the total worth of telecommunication services was 1375 thousand manats. It is 5.4% more than the previous year.
Museum of History and Local Lore Edit
The construction of the museum stated in 2014 and completed in 2016. The president Ilham Aliyev attended the opening of the museum. The museum has an exhibition hall, administrative room, ideological center, fund, and drawing gallery.
Museum of History and Regional StudiesEdit
The museum has more than 7000 exhibits, which illustrates the history of Masally from Eneolithic period to the 20th century. Exhibits include sculptures, carvings, drawings, clothing, photos, arts, crafts, and documents.
- "İnzibati-ərazi vahidləri" (PDF). preslib.az. Retrieved 28 February 2021.
- "Population of Azerbaijan". stat.gov.az. State Statistics Committee. Retrieved 22 February 2021.
- "Masally Travel Guide". world66.com. April 28, 2006. Archived from the original on April 22, 2016. Retrieved 2017-10-06.
- "Masallı Regional Mədəniyyət İdarəsi". masalli.mctgov.az. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Президент Азербайджана усилил исполнительную власть в Масаллинском районе". 29 September 2006.
- "Population | The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan". The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- "Rayon haqqında - MASALLI RAYON İcra Hakimiyyəti". www.masalli-ih.gov.az. Retrieved 2018-09-17.
- Economy, The Republic of Azerbaijan Ministry of (2012-09-27). "Masallı rayonunun sosial-iqtisadi inkişafının daha da sürətləndirilməsinə dair əlavə tədbirlər haqqında - The Republic of Azerbaijan Ministry of Economy". www.economy.gov.az. Retrieved 2018-09-18.
- "Azərbaycanın regionları | The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan". The State Statistical Committee of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Retrieved 2018-09-18.
- "Official web-site of President of Azerbaijan Republic - NEWS » Events". en.president.az. Retrieved 2018-09-25.
- "MUSEUM OF HISTORY AND REGIONAL STUDIES/MASALLI". azerbaijan.travel. Retrieved 2018-09-25.