Mark Weinberg (judge)
Mark Samuel Weinberg AO, QC (born 13 May 1948) is a judge of the Court of Appeal of the Supreme Court of Victoria since July 2008. He is a former Judge of the Federal Court of Australia who served from July 1998 to July 2008.
|The Honourable Justice
|Judge of the Court of Appeal, Supreme Court of Victoria|
22 July 2008
|Judge of the Federal Court of Australia|
15 July 1998 – 19 July 2008
|Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions|
1988 – December 1991
|Preceded by||Ian Temby|
|Succeeded by||Michael Rozenes|
|Born||Mark Samuel Weinberg
May 13, 1948
|Occupation||Academic; Barrister; Jurist|
He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours) from Monash University and was awarded the Supreme Court Prize in 1970. In 1972 he received the Vinerian Scholarship for top graduate of the Bachelor of Civil Law from the University of Oxford. In 1975 he was called to the Victorian Bar. From 1984 to 1985, Weinberg was Dean of the Faculty of Law at the University of Melbourne, having previously served as Acting Dean and Deputy Dean.
After being appointed to the Federal Court in 1998, Weinberg also held appointments as Deputy President of the Federal Police Disciplinary Tribunal, non-resident Judge of the Supreme Court of Fiji, additional Judge of the Supreme Court of the Australian Capital Territory, and Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Norfolk Island. He resigned from the Federal Court and his other appointments in 2008 in order to take up office as a judge of the Court of Appeal of the Supreme Court of Victoria.
In 2017, Justice Weinberg was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia for distinguished service to the judiciary and to the law, particularly through reforms to criminal law and procedure, to legal education in Victoria, and to the administration of justice in Fiji and Norfolk Island.
- "The Hon Justice Mark Samuel Weinberg". Who's Who in Australia. Australian Associated Press. 2017.
- "Former Judges of the Federal Court of Australia". Federal Court of Australia. Australian Government. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "Judges: Current Supreme Court judges". Supreme Court of Victoria. Australia: Government of Victoria. Archived from the original on 1 March 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "The Hon Mark Samuel Weinberg". Federal Court of Australia. Australian Government. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "Law Oration 2016". Victoria Law Foundation. 21 July 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "Officer (AO) in the General Division of the Order of Australia" (PDF). Australia Day 2017 Honours List. Governor-General of Australia. 26 January 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
|Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions