Mark Leiter Jr.
Mark Leiter Jr. (born March 13, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Toronto Blue Jays organization. He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Philadelphia Phillies and Blue Jays.
|Mark Leiter Jr.|
Leiter Jr. with the Philadelphia Phillies
|Toronto Blue Jays|
|Born: March 13, 1991|
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
|April 28, 2017, for the Philadelphia Phillies|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||5.53|
Leiter attended Toms River High School North in Toms River, New Jersey and played college baseball at the New Jersey Institute of Technology. He was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 22nd round of the 2013 Major League Baseball draft and signed. He made his professional debut that year with the GCL Phillies and he was promoted to the Clearwater Threshers and Lakewood BlueClaws during the season. In 45 innings pitched between the three teams, he was 4-0 with a 1.20 ERA. In 2014, he played for Lakewood and Clearwater, compiling a combined 9-12 record and 4.35 ERA in 27 total starts, and in 2015, he pitched with Clearwater and the Reading Fighting Phils, going 8-7 with a 3.09 ERA in 27 games (21 starts). Leiter spent 2016 with Reading where he pitched to a 6-3 record and 3.39 ERA in 23 games (17 starts). He began 2017 with the Lehigh Valley IronPigs.
Leiter was called up to the Major Leagues for the first time on April 18, 2017, making his debut on April 28. He finished his rookie season with a 3-6 record and a 4.96 ERA with 84 strikeouts over 27 appearances (11 starts). He began 2018 on the disabled list and was optioned to Lehigh Valley after he was activated.
Toronto Blue JaysEdit
On September 1, 2018, Leiter was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays. He was activated on September 3, and designated for assignment on November 26. He later cleared waivers and was assigned to Triple-A Buffalo.
- Housenick, Tom (March 28, 2017). "Phillies minor league pitcher Mark Leiter prepared for any situation". The Morning Call. Allentown, Pennsylvania. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- Edelson, Stephen (June 15, 2016). "Mark Leiter Jr. slowly shedding underdog status". Asbury Park Press. Neptune, New Jersey. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- "Mark Leiter Jr. Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- Rizzo, Salvador (April 19, 2017). "Leiter Jr. Called Up to the Major Leagues". Observer. New York, New York. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- Zolecki, Todd (April 29, 2017). "Leiter 'cool, calm' for perfect MLB debut: Reliever part of second father-son duo to play for Phillies". phillies.com. MLB Advanced Media. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- "Mark Leiter Jr. Stats, Fantasy & News". MLB.com. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- "Blue Jays claim Leiter Jr., recall Reid-Foley, Fernandez, Guerrieri". Sportsnet. September 1, 2018. Retrieved September 1, 2018.
- "Blue Jays add right-hander Oliver Drake off waivers from Rays". Sportsnet. November 26, 2018. Retrieved November 26, 2018.
- "Jays' Travis out 4-6 weeks after surgery". TSN.ca. March 17, 2019. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Hagen, Paul. "Phillies Alumni feature: Mark Leiter Sr. and Mark Leiter Jr. grew up as Philadelphia Phillies fans". mlb.com. MLB Advanced Media. Retrieved April 29, 2017.
- Joyce, Greg. "Mark Leiter Jr. gets surprise call from IronPigs to Phillies", The Express-Times, April 19, 2017. Accessed May 10, 2017. "The Lanoka Harbor, N.J. resident split 2015 between Reading and High-A Clearwater -- both starting and relieving -- after splitting 2014 between Clearwater and Low-A Lakewood, only starting."