Mark Handley (computer scientist)
Mark Handley in 2019
Mark James Handley
|Alma mater||University College London (PhD)|
Session Initiation Protocol
|Awards||Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award (2003)|
IEEE Internet Award (2012)
Roger Needham Award (2007)
SIGCOMM Award (2019)
|Institutions||University College London|
International Computer Science Institute
|Thesis||On internet multimedia conference control (1997)|
|Doctoral advisor||Jon Crowcroft|
Career and researchEdit
Handley is a contributor to Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) standards and a member of the IETF Routing Area Directorate and the Transport Area Directorate. Previously he was a member of the Internet Architecture Board (IAB) and chaired the IETF Multiparty Multimedia Session Control working group and the IRTF Reliable Multicast Research Group. He is the author or co-author of 34 Request for Comments (RFCs), including the Session Initiation Protocol, Multipath TCP and a series of other network protocols.
Awards and honoursEdit
Handley was awarded a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award in 2003, and received the 2007 Roger Needham Award. He was the recipient of the 2012 IEEE Internet Award "For contributions to Internet multicast, telephony, congestion control and the shaping of open Internet standards and open-source systems in all these areas.", and the 2019 SIGCOMM Award "For fundamental contributions to Internet multimedia, multicast, congestion control and multi-path networks, and the standardization of Internet protocols in these domains".
- Mark Handley publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Mark Handley at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Professor Mark Handley, FRS". www0.cs.ucl.ac.uk.
- Mark Handley at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Bittau, Andrea (2009). Toward least-privilege isolation for software. ucl.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University College London (University of London). OCLC 1065305455. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.564741.
- Handley, Mark James (1997). On internet multimedia conference control. london.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University College London (University of London). OCLC 1006111861. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.285140.
- Mark Handley (30 November 2000). "Proposal to Develop an Extensible Open Router Platform" (PDF).
- "TSV-Directorate – Transport Area Wiki". trac.ietf.org.
- "History | Internet Architecture Board". Iab.org. 1 October 1986. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- "Multiparty Multimedia Session Control (mmusic) Charter". www.ietf.org.
- "IRTF Reliable Multicast Research Group (RMRG) [CONCLUDED]". Irtf.org. 7 April 2019. Retrieved 5 November 2019.
- SIP: Session Initiation Protocol. 1999. doi:10.17487/RFC2543. RFC 2543.
- TCP Extensions for Multipath Operation with Multiple Addresses. 2013. doi:10.17487/RFC6824. RFC 6824.
- Roger Needham Award at BCS website
- 2007 Roger Needham Lecture at BCS website
- "IEEE Internet Award". www.ieee.org.
- Anon (2019). "Professor Mark Handley FRS". royalsociety. London: Royal Society. Archived from the original on 17 April 2019. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
“All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.” --Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived 2016-11-11)