Mark (right) at Lismore
Mark Leigh Bouris
|Education||University of New South Wales|
|Employer||Founder and Executive Chairman of Yellow Brick Road|
Executive Chairman of TZ Limited
|Known for||Business entrepreneurship|
|Yellow Brick Road|
Wizard Home Loans
Data from Linkedin
Mark Bouris was born in Punchbowl to a Greek father of the Greek Orthodox faith and an Irish mother of the Roman Catholic faith. and lived in Punchbowl until the age of 18. Bouris attended the University of New South Wales.
Wizard Home Loans was founded by Bouris in 1996 and was sold to GE Money in 2004 for $500 million. Subsequently Wizard was sold by GE to competitor, Aussie Home Loans, for a fraction of the $500 million during the midst of the Global Financial Crisis in December 2008.
On 18 June 2009, Bouris became the chairman of TZ Limited. Bouris wrote “I am a true believer in TZ, its technology, its people and now its working rhythms. I am excited about the future and I am privileged to be involved in what I consider to be an extraordinarily bright future for this company.”
He currently is the chairman of Yellow Brick Road which is involved in finance planning, finance advice, wealth management and home loans. He is a board member and supporter of the Sydney Roosters rugby league team, in the Australian National Rugby League.
In August 2011, Bouris was appointed as non-executive chairman of Anteo Diagnostics, an Australian biotechnology company that provides innovative medical diagnostic technologies. He is also a Non-Executive Chairman of Serena Resources Limited, an Australian public resources company focused on developing copper opportunities in Chile.
In 2012 Mark Bouris was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Business degree (Hon.D.Bus.) from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) and an Honorary Doctor of Letters degree (Hon.D.Litt.) from the now Western Sydney University (WSU).
At the 2015 Australia Day Honours, Bouris was appointed a Member of the Order of Australia for significant service to the finance industry, particularly the home loan mortgage sector, to education, and to charitable organisations.
Bouris has been well known by Australians for his personal appearance in Wizard Home Loan commercials during the late 1990s and early 21st century. He has also been well known by the Greek community because he has Greek heritage. Based on his high media profile, on 8 June 2009, Bouris was named as the host of the Australian version of The Apprentice to air on the Nine Network, the series aired in 2009 but only remained on air for one season. Bouris remained as host when the spin-off series The Celebrity Apprentice Australia premiered in October 2011. The Celebrity Apprentice was a huge success, and often rated within the top 5 television programs of the day. In November 2011, the Nine Network announced that they had renewed the series for a second season, which began airing in April 2012 and featured impaired celebrity David Hasselhoff.
As well as regular media appearances, Bouris hosts The Mentor, a weekly podcast produced and distributed through the PodcastOne network. In 2017, it was announced Mark Bouris would be turning the podcast into a reality television show.
- "About us | Portfolio and Wealth Management Company | YBR". www.ybr.com.au.
- "Making a Mark" (transcript). Australian Story. ABC TV. 14 August 2006.
- Williams, Sue (21 November 2016). "The unlikely suburb of Punchbowl tipped as Sydney's newest property hotspot". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- "About Wizard Mortgage Corporation, home loans". web.archive.org. January 27, 2004.
- Murray, Lisa (30 October 2004). "Wizard kicks into big league". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 25 January 2008.
- Mark Bouris casts his spell on The Apprentice
- "Yellow Brick Road". www.ybr.com.au.
- Read, Brent (29 September 2010). "The man who revived the Roosters". The Australian. News Limited. Retrieved 26 February 2012.
- "Speaker profile: Mark Bouris". Saxtons.
- "The billionaire boom". The Sydney Morning Herald. May 18, 2005.
- Gettler, Leon (May 31, 2007). "Rich list reveals who has the dough". Brisbane Times.
- "Member (AM) of the Order of Australia in the General Division". Official Secretary to the Governor-General of Australia. 26 January 2015. p. 9. Archived from the original (pdf) on 23 March 2019. Retrieved 27 January 2015.
- "Wizard Home Loans - We'll work harder for you!" – via www.youtube.com.
- "Bouris to star in new reality show". www.dailytelegraph.com.au. November 21, 2017.