Kondo in 2015
|Occupation||Organizing consultant and author|
|Years active||1997 to present|
|Known for||KonMari method|
|Notable work||The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing|
She has written four books on organizing, which have collectively sold millions of copies and have been translated from Japanese into languages including Korean, Chinese, French, German, and English. In particular, her book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing (2011) has been published in more than 30 countries. It was a best seller in Japan and in Europe, and was published in the United States in 2014.
Kondo says that she has been interested in organizing since childhood. In junior school, she ran into the classroom to tidy up bookshelves while her classmates were playing in physical education class. Whenever there was nomination for class roles, she did not seek to be the class representative or the pet feeder. Instead, she yearned to be the bookshelf manager to continue to tidy up books. She said she experienced a breakthrough in organizing one day, "I was obsessed with what I could throw away. One day, I had a kind of nervous breakdown and fainted. I was unconscious for two hours. When I came to, I heard a mysterious voice, like some god of tidying telling me to look at my things more closely. And I realized my mistake: I was only looking for things to throw out. What I should be doing is finding the things I want to keep. Identifying the things that make you happy: that is the work of tidying."
Kondo's method of organizing is known as the KonMari method, and consists of gathering together all of one's belongings, one category at a time, and then keeping only those things that "spark joy" (tokimeku, the word in Japanese, means "flutter, throb, palpitate"), and choosing a place for everything from then on.
A two-part TV dramatization was filmed in 2013 based on Kondo and her work, 人生がときめく片づけの魔法. She has done many lectures and made television appearances. She released a series of videos teaching “the best way to fold for perfect appearance”.
- Jinsei ga Tokimeku Katatsuke no Maho (人生がときめく片づけの魔法).
- Jinsei ga Tokimeku Katatsuke no Maho 2 (人生がときめく片づけの魔法2). Tokyo: Sunmark Shuppan, 2012; ISBN 978-4-7631-3241-3.
- Mainichi ga Tokimeku Katatsuke no Maho (毎日がときめく片付けの魔法), Tokyo: Sunmark Shuppan, 2014; ISBN 978-4-7631-3352-6.
- Irasuto de Tokimeku Katatsuke no Maho = The Illustrated Guide to the Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up (イラストでときめく片付けの魔法）. Tokyo: Sunmark Shuppan, 2015; ISBN 978-4-7631-3427-1.
- Stern, Claire (23 January 2016). "Who Is Marie Kondo? 7 Things You Might Not Know About the Japanese Decluttering Guru". InStyle. Time Inc. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- "Kissing Your Socks Goodbye: Home Organization Advice from Marie Kondo". The New York Times. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- [https://www.wsj.com/articles/marie-kondo-and-the-tidying-up-trend-1424970535 "Marie Kondo and the Cult of Tidying Up", Wall Street Journal; retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Jamie Lee Curtis (2015). "Marie Kondo". Time Magazine. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Marie Kondo is the maiden of mess". Theaustralian.com.au. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Maguire, Katy (7 July 2016). "6 surprising things about Marie Kondo and her life-changing method". Well+Good LLC.
- "Japanese-English translation: tokimeku: Dictionary". kanjijapanese.com. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Japan’s ‘queen of clean’ promotes benefits of a tidy home". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "How KonMari's phenomenal book can help put your house in order". Japantimes.co.jp. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- Maloney, Jennifer; Fujikawa, Megumi (26 February 2015). "Marie Kondo and the Cult of Tidying Up". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 1 March 2015 – via konmari
- "人生がときめく片づけの魔法". ntv.co.jp. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- "Marie Kondo and the Cult of Tidying Up", Wall Street Journal; retrieved 8 April 2015.
- Tonya C. Snyder. The real reasons Marie Kondo’s life-changing magic doesn't work for parents. The Washington Post, 14 January 2016.