María Pilar Fernández
María del Pilar Fernández Julián (born December 28, 1962 in Madrid) is a Spanish sport shooter. Fernandez had won a total of nine medals (one gold, four silver and four bronze) in both air and sport pistol at the ISSF World Cup series.
|Full name||María del Pilar Fernández Julián|
|Born||28 December 1962|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||75 kg (165 lb)|
|Event(s)||10 m air pistol (AP40)|
25 m pistol (SP)
|Club||Alcorcon Olympic Shooting|
|Coached by||Cezary Staniszewski|
Fernandez made her official debut for the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, representing the host nation Spain. She achieved a sixth-place finish in the 10 m air pistol, and twelfth in the 25 m pistol, accumulating scores of 478.5 and 576 points, respectively. Fernandez also competed at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia, 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, and 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, but she neither reached the final round, nor claimed an Olympic medal.
Sixteen years after competing in her first Olympics, Fernandez qualified for her fifth Spanish team, as a 46-year-old, at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, by placing second in the air pistol from the second meet of the 2006 ISSF World Cup series in Resende, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, with a score of 783.2 points. She placed twenty-fifth out of forty-four shooters in the women's 10 m air pistol by one point behind Mongolian-born German shooter and five-time Olympian Munkhbayar Dorjsuren from the final attempt, with a total score of 379 targets. Three days later, Fernandez competed for her second event, 25 m pistol, where she was able to shoot 291 targets in the precision stage, and 278 in the rapid fire, for a total score of 569 points, finishing only in thirty-sixth place.
|25 metre pistol||12th
|10 metre air pistol||6th
- "ISSF Profile – Maria Pilar Fernandez". ISSF. Retrieved 20 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill; et al. "Maria Pilar Fernandez". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 18 April 2020. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- "Saroja, Shweta disappoint". The Tribune (India). 3 May 2006. Retrieved 20 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Women's 10m Air Pistol Qualification". NBC Olympics. Archived from the original on 16 August 2012. Retrieved 20 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Women's 25m Pistol Qualification". NBC Olympics. Archived from the original on 16 August 2012. Retrieved 20 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)