Margo Kitsy Brodie
Margo Kitsy Brodie (born April 12, 1966) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Margo Kitsy Brodie
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York|
|Assumed office |
February 29, 2012
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Allyne R. Ross|
Margo Kitsy Williams
April 12, 1966
St. John's, British West Indies (now Antigua and Barbuda)
|Education||St. Francis College (B.A.)|
University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D.)
Early life and educationEdit
Brodie was born Margo Kitsy Williams in St. John's, Antigua. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1988 from St. Francis College in Brooklyn and then a Juris Doctor in 1991 from the University of Pennsylvania Law School.
Brodie worked for the New York City Law Department from 1991 until 1994, and then at the law firm Carter, Ledyard & Millburn from 1994 until 1999. She then joined the office of the United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York in 1999 as an Assistant United States Attorney. Brodie was Deputy Chief of the General Crimes Section from 2006 to 2007, Chief of the General Crimes Section from 2007 until 2009, Counselor to the Criminal Division from 2009 to 2010, and Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division from 2010 to 2012.
Federal judicial serviceEdit
On June 7, 2011, President Barack Obama nominated Brodie to a seat on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York that had been vacated by Judge Allyne R. Ross, who took senior status in April 2011. She received a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on September 7, 2011 and was reported by voice vote to the floor of the Senate on October 6, 2011 and was placed on the Senate Executive Calendar the same day. On February 27, 2012, the United States Senate voted 86–2 to confirm Brodie as a United States District Judge. She received her commission on February 29, 2012.
- "President Obama Nominates Four to the United States District Court" (Press release). Washington, D.C.: White House, Office of the Press Secretary. June 7, 2011. Retrieved January 19, 2019.
- "Brodie, Margo Kitsy – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- The White House: Office of the Press Secretary (June 7, 2011). "Nominations Sent to the Senate". whitehouse.gov. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- "Home – United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary". judiciary.senate.gov.
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 112th Congress – 2nd Session". www.senate.gov.