Margo in concert.
|Birth name||Margeret Catherine O'Donnell|
|Also known as||"The Queen of Country and Irish"|
|Born||6 February 1951|
County Donegal, Ireland
|Associated acts||Daniel O'Donnell, Philomena Begley|
Margo was brought up in the small village of Kincasslagh, in The Rosses area of County Donegal, Ireland. She grew up in a Catholic family, with her parents Francis and Julia (née McGonagle) O'Donnell, and her siblings: John (the eldest), Kathleen, James; and the youngest Daniel, who is also a singer. Her father died of a heart attack when she was seventeen.
Margo started performing country music at a very young age in 1964 with a local showband, The Keynotes. She recorded her first single in 1968, "Bonny Irish Boy/Dear God", which was a success as was her second single, "If I Could See the World Through the Eyes of a Child/Road By the River", released in 1969. Margo has been a successful singer for five decades and has sold more than 1,000,000 records to date, and performed with Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton. She presented numerous TV shows for RTÉ in the 1970s and has collected many awards during her career. Her albums usually include covers of popular country music hits from the 1960s and 1970s. Her 2019 album "Old and New" contains original tribute songs to two of her greatest influences, Liz Anderson and Jean Shepard. She has recorded a number of songs written by Liz Anderson and also a number written by Dolly Parton and on her album Margo and Friends she duets with Parton on "God's Coloring Book".
Margo is sister to Irish singer Daniel O'Donnell, who got his start with Margo's band in the early 1980s while attending college in Galway. Margo was named "2007 Donegal Person Of The Year" and spent most of 2007 traveling Ireland acting as an ambassador to her native county. She makes her home in Castleblayney, County Monaghan, where she has lived for several decades along with her partner.
- From Margo With Love (1971)
- Country Lovin' (1972)
- The Girl from Donegal (1975)
- A Toast To Claddagh (1977)
- ...At Home In Ireland (1979)
- A Toast From An Irish Colleen (1981)
- Grádh Mo Chroí (I Long To See Old Ireland Free Once More) (1982)
- 18 Irish Songs (1982)
- Now (1988)
- The Girl From Donegal (2001)
- The Girl & Boy Fom Donegal (with Daniel O'Donnell, 2002)
- Parcel of Dreams (2006)
- Two Sides of Margo (2006)
- Highway of My Life (2006)
- Songs of Inspiration (2009)
- Ireland's Country Queens: The Way Old Friends Do (with Philomena Begley, 2009)
- Stories in Song (2010)
- Margo & Friends (2018)
- Old and New (2019)
- Margo profile, regorecords.com/margoodonnell; accessed 25 February 2014.
- Margo O'Donnell bio at official website; accessed 25 February 2014.
- Nicola Tallan article on Margo, The Times; 2 April 2006
- "New search for missing Irish girl". BBC News. 10 January 2011. Retrieved 3 September 2018.
- O'Donnell, Margeret (2014). Margo: Queen of Country & Irish: The Promise and the Dream. The O'Brien Press, Limited. ISBN 9-781-84717674-5.