Margaret Beames (born 18 October 1935) is a multi-award-winning author of children's books who lives in Feilding, New Zealand. Her first book was The Greenstone Summer, published in 1977. Since then, she has had at least 35 books published.
Beames' 2000 book Oliver in the Garden won the Picture Book category and the Children's Choice Award at the 2001 New Zealand Post Book Awards for Children and Young Adults, and was included in the 2000 Storylines Notable Books List (Picture Books category), and the White Ravens list, organised by the International Youth Library. Four other books of hers have been included on the Storylines Notable Books List: Storm on the 2000 Junior Fiction list; Outlanders on the 2001 Senior Fiction list; Duster on the 2003 Junior Fiction list; and Spirit of the Deep on the 2007 Young Adult Fiction list. Two of her books were finalists in the Junior Fiction category of the New Zealand Post Children's Book Awards, Archway Arrow in 1997, and The Shearwater Bell in 1998. She was the University of Otago College of Education Writer in Residence in 2005.
Beames was born in Oxford, England, and lived in Kenya for two years. In 1974, she came to New Zealand and has worked as a teacher for more than 30 years. She is married with two children and six grandchildren.
- "Margaret Beames". Interviews with NZ Childrens Authors. Christchurch, New Zealand: Christchurch City Libraries. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Beames, Margaret". BookCouncil.org.nz. Wellington, New Zealand: New Zealand Book Council. OCLC 182902727. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Margaret Beames". Storylines.org.nz. Auckland, New Zealand: Storylines Children's Literature Charitable Trust of New Zealand. Archived from the original on 6 July 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "The Shearwater Bell". Google Books. Mountain View, CA: Google. OCLC 62499916. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "2001 Awards". New Zealand Post Children's Book Awards. Wellington, New Zealand: Booksellers New Zealand. 28 September 2011. OCLC 182896192. Archived from the original on 1 June 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2012.