Mare Nostrum (video game)
|Engine||Unreal Engine 2.5|
|Release||March 1, 2008|
Mare Nostrum game play is similar to its parent game, in that players assume the role of an individual infantryman or tank crew during World War II battles in an online multiplayer environment. Each team then attempts to accomplish objectives varying by game level. Most play revolves around an Attack and Defend style, whereby one team has to take objective areas from the opposing team in order to claim victory.
The Mare Nostrum game project is current subdivided into two phases which reflects the original merger. The first is titled 'Mare Nostrum: Afrikafeldzug 40-43' which concentrates on the actions during the North African Campaign. The second, unreleased, phase is titled 'Mare Nostrum: Campagna Italiana 43-45', and will encompass actions in and around Sicily and main land Italy.
The first public release of the modification was on 1 March 2008. Subsequent additional releases quickly came to address software bugs and gameplay issues with the 1.1 release on 8 March 2008 and 1.2 release on 23 March 2008.
On October 17, 2008, Mare Nostrum was released on Steam. Due to Steam's automatic update feature, version numbers were dropped and all further versions were released exclusively on Steam.
Although the 1.2 release was considered a playable product, there were issues building an online player base.
- "About". Sandstorm Productions team. Archived from the original on 2010-08-12. Retrieved 2008-10-17.
- "Tunis Telegraph, Aug 2006" (PDF). Sandstorm Productions team. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-07-31. Retrieved 2008-10-17.
- "Open Beta 1 Released". Sandstorm Productions team.
- "Open Beta 1.1 Patch Released". Sandstorm Productions team.
- "Open Beta 1.2 Patch Released". Sandstorm Productions team.
- "Steam Powered News". Steam.
- "2007 Mod of the Year Awards event Top 100". ModDB.com.
- "Modify #65: Red Orchestra Plays an Encore". Gamespy.