Mara Corporation is a Pan-African multi-sector business services company. It operates in the technology, financial services, manufacturing, real estate & agriculture industries.
|Private limited company|
|Founder||Ashish J. Thakkar|
|Africa, Middle East and Indian Sub-Continent|
Ashish J. Thakkar
Founder and CEO
Number of employees
Mara was founded by Ashish J. Thakkar, in 1996. The company grew into an international multi-sector business, with operations and interests across 24 countries including 22 in Africa. In 2010 Mara Group was selected by the World Economic Forum as a Global Growth Company. The company is active in 22 countries and, through its investments and operations, employs more than 11,000 people.
Mara Phones part of the Mara Corporation is the first to launch high tech smartphone factories on the African Continent, Kigali, Rwanda was the inaugural location for the Mara Phones manufacturing facility and Durban, South Africa opened shortly after. Mara Phones commit to developing affordable, high quality smart mobile products equipped with the latest technology. 
Mara Phones has launched two models, the Mara X and Mara Z. The first two models are affordable and have a long-lasting battery, immense storage space and a 2-year Android version update delivered through a strong partnership with Google and its Android One Program.
Mara Phones is focusing on smartphone growth in Africa while enabling access to transformational tools and services. Mara Phones is a digital enabler for financial inclusion, agricultural efficiencies, business tools and services, digital health and education. The manufacturing business employs a high percentage of women thus creating an inclusive environment.
Mara Experience Store, will give all potential customers an opportunity to experience the look and feel of Mara Phones devices. Consumers will have the opportunity to interact with Mara Phones experts and technical specialists to understand the different models and provide technical support. High quality (original) accessories such as Turbochargers, Dolby headphones, screen protectors, etc will all be available to purchase at the Mara Experience Stores.
Mara Phones LabEdit
Mara Phones Lab is the technology arm of Mara Phones, which creates technology-based value-added solutions for the end consumer. By harnessing the power of digital technology, Mara Phones Lab aims to innovate and create digital solutions for society offered through smartphones. We help business and government to accelerate innovation and digital transformation through Mara Phone devices. Mara Phones aims to build technology-based innovations to solve large-scale societal challenges and boost digital inclusion.
- Nsehe, Mfonobong (18 June 2012). "Young, Successful And African: Ashish J.Thakkar, CEO of Mara Group". Forbes Magazine. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Nsehe, Mfonobong (4 March 2014). "Harvard Business School Adopts Mara Group As African Case Study". Forbes Magazine. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- Nsehe, Mfonobong (18 June 2012). "Young, Successful And African: Ashish J.Thakkar, CEO of Mara Group". Forbes Magazine. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- WEF, . (19 November 2013). "List of Global Growth Company Members As of 19 November 2013" (PDF). World Economic Forum (WEF). Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- "The lion's roar: Ashish J Thakkar's rise from Rwanda genocide to $1bn powerhouse". Arabian Business.com. 12 December 2014. Retrieved 30 January 2015.
- Nsehe, Mfonobong (7 August 2012). "Young African Millionaire Launches Mara.com, Africa's First Online Mentorship Network". Forbes Magazine. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- News, . (29 January 2014). "UN Women And Mara Foundation Announce Partnership To Support Women Entrepreneurs". United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women). Retrieved 1 August 2014.