|Died||November 19, 2019 (aged 97)|
New York City, U.S.
|Education||Tehran University (did not graduate)|
École des Beaux-Arts
Art Students League of New York
|Known for||Painter, draughtsman, sculptor and print-maker|
Early life and educationEdit
Born in Tehran, Iran, Yektai dropped out of Tehran University without obtaining a degree. Between 1945 and 1947, he studied with Amédée Ozenfant in Paris, and later in New York City. From 1946 to 1947, he studied at the École des Beaux-Arts and at the atelier of André Lhote. From 1947 to 1948, he studied at the Art Students League of New York.
Yektai has many works in North American and European collections and museums, including the Museum of Modern Art, the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, numerous private collections such as the Yellowstone Art Museum.
Selected solo exhibitionsEdit
- 1949: Woodstock, New York
- 1951, 1952, 1953: Grace Borgenicht Gallery, Inc., New York City
- 1956: American Associated Artists, New York City
- 1957, 1958, 1961, 1962, 1964: Poindexter Gallery, New York City
- 1959: Felix Landau Gallery Los Angeles County, California
- 1960,1961, 1963, 1965: Semia Huber Gallery, Zürich, Switzerland
- 1962: Anderson Meyer Gallery, Paris; Feingarten Gallery, Chicago, Illinois
- 1961, 1962, 1964, 1970: Picadilly Gallery, London, United Kingdom
- 1965, 1966, (67: Gertrude Kasle Gallery, Detroit, Michigan
- 1966. 1967, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1984, 1996: Elaine Benson Gallery, Bridgehampton, New York
- 1977, 1978: Galerie Zand, Teheran, Iran
- 1981, 1984: Alex Rosenberg Gallery, New York City
- 1988: Paris - New York: Kent Fine Art, Kent, Connecticut
- Yekta, Manouch. "United States Public Records Index". Familysearch.org. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Manoucher Yektai | MoMA". The Museum of Modern Art. Retrieved 2019-11-20.
- "Iranian artist Manoucher Yektai passes away at 98". Mehr News Agency. 2019-11-20. Retrieved 2019-11-20.
- Marika Herskovic, American Abstract Expressionism of the 1950s An Illustrated Survey, (New York School Press, 2003.) ISBN 0-9677994-1-4. p. 362-365
- Marika Herskovic, New York School Abstract Expressionists Artists Choice by Artists, (New York School Press, 2000.) ISBN 0-9677994-0-6. p. 31; p. 39; p. 382-385
|This article about an Iranian painter is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a painter from the United States born in the 1920s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|